PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mac713

Lurker
Mar 21, 2022
Kingman, Arizona, USA
I try to smoke all the tobacco before cleaning out the chamber thinking it makes for a thicker cake at the bottom of the bowl and thus a better smoke as the pipe ages. But the last few lights are not very pleasant, so I'm not sure this practice is appropriate, or even necessary. I'm curious as to how much unburned tobacco should remain at the end of the smoke.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I find this tobacco dependant.

I’m unfortunately not one of those whose tobacco burns to a “clean white ash with no dottle”.

Always between 1/8th (when I’m lucky) and 1/4 bowl left when I find I’m done and not in the mood to scorch my tongue trying to light the last bits. I’ve long since given up on caring about the last bit.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Firstly, building cake is unnecessary. Just my opinion.

Secondly, the amount of dottle left depends on variables like how dry the tobacco is when you pack the bowl, did you pack loose or crammed it in, are you a puffing billy or a slow sipper ? Drying the tobacco and packing looser is the key. Just tamp occasionally if it feels like it is about to go out.

I often don't have enough time to dry the tobacco sufficiently (not enough forethought as to what I'll be smoking on any given day). Under those circumstances I will use a few meerschaum Chips or Nording Keystones Filters or a Sharrow Philtpad in the bottom of the bowl. I find it gives me a dry smoke and most bowls smoke down to ash even if I don't dry the tobacco. Some laugh at this practice and say it's totally unnecessary - I find it works for me, and saves wastage (given the price of tobacco in Oz, it adds up).

But, dry, dry, and dry your tobacco some more.
Once the bowl "sours", dump it. Trying to smoke dottle is plain unpleasant.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I try to smoke all the tobacco before cleaning out the chamber thinking it makes for a thicker cake at the bottom of the bowl and thus a better smoke as the pipe ages. But the last few lights are not very pleasant, so I'm not sure this practice is appropriate, or even necessary. I'm curious as to how much unburned tobacco should remain at the end of the smoke.
This is a good strategy for burning out the bottom of the bowl and/or the edges of the draft hole. It's also the reason why so many manufacturers and carvers use bowl coatings. There is no set rule for how much leaf you should leave unsmoked. Just make sure you leave some and try not to set any briar on fire.

Mac713

Lurker
Mar 21, 2022
Kingman, Arizona, USA
I find this tobacco dependant.

I’m unfortunately not one of those whose tobacco burns to a “clean white ash with no dottle”.

Always between 1/8th (when I’m lucky) and 1/4 bowl left when I find I’m done and not in the mood to scorch my tongue trying to light the last bits. I’ve long since given up on caring about the last bit.
I'm thinking smoking is for enjoyment, so dump it when it's not.

Mac713

Lurker
Mar 21, 2022
Kingman, Arizona, USA
This is a good strategy for burning out the bottom of the bowl and/or the edges of the draft hole. It's also the reason why so many manufacturers and carvers use bowl coatings. There is no set rule for how much leaf you should leave unsmoked. Just make sure you leave some and try not to set any briar on fire.
Another good reason to dump it sooner than later. Thank you.

Mac713

Lurker
Mar 21, 2022
Kingman, Arizona, USA
Firstly, building cake is unnecessary. Just my opinion.

Secondly, the amount of dottle left depends on variables like how dry the tobacco is when you pack the bowl, did you pack loose or crammed it in, are you a puffing billy or a slow sipper ? Drying the tobacco and packing looser is the key. Just tamp occasionally if it feels like it is about to go out.

I often don't have enough time to dry the tobacco sufficiently (not enough forethought as to what I'll be smoking on any given day). Under those circumstances I will use a few meerschaum Chips or Nording Keystones Filters or a Sharrow Philtpad in the bottom of the bowl. I find it gives me a dry smoke and most bowls smoke down to ash even if I don't dry the tobacco. Some laugh at this practice and say it's totally unnecessary - I find it works for me, and saves wastage (given the price of tobacco in Oz, it adds up).

But, dry, dry, and dry your tobacco some more.
Once the bowl "sours", dump it. Trying to smoke dottle is plain unpleasant.
I'll have to investigate "meerschaum Chips, Nording Keystones Filters and Sharrow Philtpad in the bottom of the bowl" since I've never heard of these...but I can sure agree on dumping as the bowl sours. Good advice.

Reactions: mingc and OzPiper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
If I'm lucky enough I usually manage to smoke down to that fine white ash one to two times per year,hence, I suspect there must be something wrong with my smoking technique ,
I personally feel like it's as dependent on the tobacco smoked. Honestly I get a few flakes regularly but there are only a couple of blends that I get that effect. I can't help but notice the same people who told me that you're doing it wrong if you don't always get fine white ash are also the same people that told me I was smoking the wrong tobaccos and real pipe smokers only smoke (I don't remember because I just don't care about their opinion, so I'll go with Captain Black Grape).

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
For me it depends more on the pipe, a cob always seems to have a fair amount of unsmoked tobacco on the bottom. One can modify the cob by cutting off the interior part of the stem and mudding up the bottom, that seems more work than the cob is worth. Some of my deeply bent pipes (e.g., OOM Paul) leave more unsmoked tobacco as well.

Tobacco that wasn't dried sufficiently will also tend to leave less ash and more tobacco behind. YMMV.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I usually don't have a lot left at the bottom, but personally don't much care if there is some. It's not a competition to see who can pack a pipe the best, who has the least relights, or who never has to tamp during a smoke. Its just about the enjoyment while you're having that smoke. No one does everything perfect every time, so if you're enjoying the pipe to a certain point then that's all that matters. Don't push it to the point where its no longer a pleasant experience.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I usually have about 1/4 unsmoked tobacco when I dump it because it’s wet and tastes gross and refuses to stay lit. It’s not worth it to me to keep smoking when it gets to that point. I’ve had a few times when I smoked all the way down to a fine white ash with minimal relights but those are rare.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I usually end up with about a quarter of the bowl left, and it's usually too wet to do anything with. I dry my tobacco thoroughly most of the time, so I assume it's a combination of my technique, plus living in a humid climate. I'm not concerned, however. I like my smoking technique (the bowl stays cool to the touch and I don't care how long it lasts), so I just dump the moist dottle and if unsatisfied, just pack another.

Most of the time, I have nothing but a few strands of unburned tobacco left, sometimes more.

I've been reading about people having a problem getting the bottom of their pipes to cake since I got here. I can only guess that many have a problem smoking the last bit of the bowl, or else may not smoke their pipes very often. I have no trouble getting cake to form at the bottom of the bowl. Maybe because I smoke so slowly but consistently. I have to break the cake away from the draft occasionally, because the bottoms of my chamber cake over just fine, and I hate cake.