Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Ohhh, this needs further explanation. On the forums there are no stupid questions... well, I guess some people are trying harder than others, but nevermind... I didn't mean on here. When getting out of my truck to get something from the store, another guy smoking his pipe in the parking lot ran up to me and asked... "what kind of pipes do you smoke?"
Now, I know that some of you guys live in places where pipesmokers aren't just everywhere setting on the sidewalk smoking pipes, but here in the land of The Briary, where within a 100 mile radius, pipe smokers are everywhere. So, for you guys who think seeing a pipesmoker in the wild is a fantastic thing, you probably don;t "get this." But, how do you respond to someone running up like you want an autograph or something, wide eyed, and ask something as dumb as "what kind of pipes do you smoke?" Not, "what kind of pipes do you collect?" nor "what is your favorite pipe?" but, "what kind of pipes do you smoke?" It has no simple answer, and it screams... "Talk to me because everyone hates me. I have no friends. I'm a looser."
Now, if he'd have asked, what is your favorite tobacco, I might not mind taking my pipe out of my clench to respond. But, "what kind of pipes do you smoke?" just sounds like an elementary playground conversation starter. "What kind of sport do you like?" "Wanna be friends."
Just teasing you!!

I'm not always the most social person out and about - I remember about 30 years ago reading a quote from Freddie Couples in a magazine about him not answering the phone when it rang at home because there might be someone on the other end, lol. I thought - yep!

Probably another weekend of hibernation for the missus and myself - cue Eddy Arnold - "Make The World Go Away!" And we aren't hiding, we just like being home. :)

Well that doesn’t work everywhere ?
As Tennessee Ernie Ford once said... Know your audience.

Plus, it helps if you aren't really an asshole. If you are an asshole, then it will just be something that asshole said, but if you are really a friendly person, and you say something an asshole would say, it's funny. If someone doesn't truly know you, and thinks your an asshole, whatever they say in response is always ten times worse than what you said.
It's kind of hard to explain, but as with everything humans say, it is counterintuitive. puffy

I actually had a guy come up to me and ask "Can I try that?" I am a cooties guy so I nearly lost it but decided I would pick up his strings and dance him around the stage for a while. I love pulling other's strings..... Life is a Stage and you are my marionette until you figure out I'm effing with you.

Surprisingly, many never figure it out. puffy

I actually had a guy come up to me and ask "Can I try that?" I am a cooties guy so I nearly lost it but decided I would pick up his strings and dance him around the stage for a while. I love pulling other's strings..... Life is a Stage and you are my marionette until you figure out I'm effing with you.

Surprisingly, many never figure it out. puffy
Yehhh... that would make me stand there looking at them trying to figure out if they were f'n with me. Put my pipe in your mouth... Dr. Freud would have shot coffee out his nose laughing at that.

I used to really hate when my first ex wife(who was Bi) would ask if her girlfriend could come over for a couple of days of sex and drugs? Who was I to say know as my wife's friend was a srtipper and my exwife could have been.
Wait, Harris, this is a string about questions you "hate." Not, "questions that lead to syphilis." Ha ha.

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Being from NYC I'm constantly bombarded with annoying questions. Got some change? (lately they've taken to naming their price, usually a dollar and up), Have a cigarette?, Where's your wallet?, What're you lookin' at? Conveniently, I've found they can all be answered in the same way...with the back of the hand. Saves time.
Here in Texas, my response to those questions is met with, Ask me about Conceal Carry.

Here in Texas, my response to those questions is met with, Ask me about Conceal Carry.
Off topic, but in Birmingham, I make sure I have a few fivers on me to give the panhandlers, because it is obvious that there are some mental health or real poverty issues. But, In Ashville the panhandlers are all kids who live on the streets to do drugs and live "free" :::cough cough:::

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I should keep this pipe related so I am sorry to the mods and Keven for not doing so.

For me there is no question that bothered me when talking pipes and tobacco. We were all newbies once and any question if a good question. I still learn new stuff on a regular basis.
to ask how much a pipe costs but I can't help it
I know it is gouache but how am I going to learn what pipes are worth what kind of money. I have no problem answering when people ask me.