PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Something I am not quite understanding.

With tea, I like a strong breakfast blend in the morning and weaker blends later in the day. Maybe an Earl Grey or Russian Caravan in the evening.

Is it the other way round with tobacco?
Early Morning Pipe (described as mild) in the morning, for example.
Then Peterson Nightcap (described as strong) before bed.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I think its personal preference, but the possibility of mild in the morning and strong in the evening may be because you get used to the nicotine by the end of the day and can handle a stronger tobacco more then. I know when I used to smoke cigs that first one in the morning seemed way stronger than the one I had before bed.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
I think its personal preference, but the possibility of mild in the morning and strong in the evening may be because you get used to the nicotine by the end of the day and can handle a stronger tobacco more then. I know when I used to smoke cigs that first one in the morning seemed way stronger than the one I had before bed.
This makes perfect sense.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You should check with the International Pipe Smokers Conglomeration of Pipe Smokers (IPSCPS). They are dedicated to establishing the laws by which all pipe smokers must obey under penalty of death or, for the worst violators, never ending rides on the "teacups" at the county fair nearest to your residence.

Just do what you enjoy and gives you an acceptable experience when you smoke.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My rules are start mild in the morning and increase the strength as the day goes on with tobacco. I don't typically drink multiple cups of brewed tea daily so no rules. But I do enjoy an Earl Grey in the evening and am in fact smoking my pipe and drinking an Earl Grey variant as I type this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever you want, whenever you want -- I'd echo that. The idea of strong blends at night, just before bedtime, is that if you do overdo it, and get a little light headed, you can flop down and sleep it off. Just be sensible, and use the bathroom before you light up, so you can go to bed without ado. I had a great big bowl of Nightcap the first time I tried it, right before bedtime, and before I'd gotten in shape with stronger blends, and I did get a little woozy, and went on to bed. Just right, under the circumstances.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
My first smoke of the day is usually that blend that's a bit delicate or complex that's best appreciated with a fresh palate. As the day goes on I migrate to less complex or bolder blends. Nicotine is not a big driver in the time of day selection, I don't smoke after dinner and as long as I avoid coffee in the afternoon I have no problem falling asleep. At any rare selecting a blend is not too involved as I usually only have 2 or 3 tins open at a time.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Just whatever your body asks of you, I imagine it will be variable over the years, and like a roller coaster. And you end up smoking your last reserves of tobacco, with 20 or 30 years old and with different aroma and intensity. It seems that the trend is mild in the morning and strong in the evening. I remember starting out smoking 965, morning, noon and night. Until I discovered that rich pastry shop in Virginia, and I was left with a face like a complete asshole. And I started buying and storing virginia like a groundhog in heat.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Something I am not quite understanding.

With tea, I like a strong breakfast blend in the morning and weaker blends later in the day. Maybe an Earl Grey or Russian Caravan in the evening.

Early Morning Pipe (described as mild) in the morning, for example.
Then Peterson Nightcap (described as strong) before bed.
caffeine and nicotine act differently in your system. Nicotine tolerance for example is smaller in the morning (as defined by when you get up) then it is later on in the day. Caffeine tolerance is going to be about the same and is only a stimulant so as your winding down you're not going to want as much and your tolerance is more stable. So that's one thing.
Also nicotine isn't a stimulant or a depressant it can act as either. One of the funny things is this changes based on a few factors. The three main things on how it will effect you are quantity, absorption rate, and also what you need more. So one reason it's a first thing in the morning and before bed type of thing. So for the first one smaller quantities are more like to stimulate weaker blends help you wake up more higher quantities more sleepy. Rate works faster more stimulating slow absorption equals more sleepy/relaxed and well pipes are kind of slow (put those two things together and you can see why hookahs are popular with lots of people lots of nicotine (calming) delivered really fast (stimulating). The third no matter what way you take your nicotine your bodies needs at that time will also effect how it hits you. Nasal snuff is the most stimulating nicotine delivery I've found yet it can still help me sleep. Nicotine seems to help the brain better regulate, use, and distribution your neurotransmitters. That has nothing to do with the preference.
And then there is just simply a matter of taste where your sense of taste is sharper in the morning in some ways and not quite fully awake either. And then there are probably lots of other factors too that we haven't even thought about. because there is always more to the story.