PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I have more samples than I can smoke in 2022 (new smoker) and not really looking for more, but I came across this video today on YT and thought I would ask all of you across the world if you have tried Amphora English or Kentucky. This guy has both in his top 5 of 2021. Or is it more likely he has limited choices where he lives? He seemed to reference these are new Amphora blends under new owners.

Reactions: Scottishgaucho

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I couldn't get the video to play. Amphora does have a pretty good following and tobacco will never be cheaper or more available than right now. Having said that, I'm in the same boat as you albeit a bit longer. I went a bit overboard in 2018 on the tobacco purchase front and ended up with more blends than I'll ever get to go through, but in case of a zombie apocalypse, I'll have plenty of barter stock.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I got a pouch of the Kentucky that came with a pipe, nice smoked...similar to ODF but had its own thing going on. I also have a pouch of the Virginia open at the moment, another solid smoke but have other blends in the rotation that scratch this itch better.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
This is subjective, and I'm giving my own (European)consumer verdict, Amphora line up, be it Burley, Kentucky,the Original or Red full one are among the very best european style OTC blends the money can buy, those few others great value tobaccies are again blended by Mc Barens and come from their basic portofolio,nontheless,its worthwhile mentioning here on the old continent prices for tinned tobaccies are not necessary much higher from those sold in pouches, the difference in retailing price may be as low as 1e,

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
In Spain at the moment we only have Amphora Full, at a science fiction price, that is, at a very good price. For my personal taste is a very good tobacco, regardless of its quality or a thousand other things. Another tobacco of tobacconist of neighborhood, cheap and that gives you a pleasant smoke until the end. I haven't tried the other varieties yet, but I will order the whole range in SP. Holy tobacco, amen.................

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The Kentucky and Virginia blends are passable, but not remarkable. The Burley blend is the belle of the ball - just so masterfully blended. I cellar that one. I haven't tried the English (overloaded on those) nor any of the aromatics.

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
When I started down the pipe road not long ago, the first tobacco I got from my B&M was some house Aro. Yuck! I then tried a few others with varying success. I was searching for the aroma I was used to growing up with my old neighbour who was a big pipe smoker. I loved the smell that wafted over the hedge as he puttered around his yard. That smell epitomized for me what a pipe flavour should be like. (Complicating things, I've since found out that the 'room note' that others perceive is often quite different than what you actually get by smoking the damn thing.) Then last Canadian Thanksgiving, I had our entire family over and I enquired with the old folks, what was the tobacco people smoked back in the day? Universally everyone said Amphora! Red pack, Brown pack, etc. Tons of stories ensued. It was great.

Next day I immediately went out and picked up a pouch of the Original. ($40 here in Ontario!) There it was, excatly as I remembered. How do you go wrong??? I've since expanded into VaPers, English, Balkans, etc., but I'll always have a soft spot for Amphora Original regardless of where this journey takes me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've only tried the burley and liked it, thought the flavor was good and a good representation of the leaf, one of the friendlier tobaccos from MacBaren that I've tried. I think I'd take them each in its own right; I'd likely find some better than others. Virginia is a tough league to play in, and I am finishing a tin of McClelland Dark Star, so that's a tough act to follow. English is such a wide genre, it just depends on "what music you dance to."