PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
You’ll definitely want to go Latakia heavy for that campfire smell. Nightcap is probably the most campfire-esque of the blends I have in terms of smell out of the jar, but I’m sure there are others that hit closer to the mark.

I have some HH Old Dark Fired I haven’t tried yet, excited to give that one a go soon.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for the recommendations, all! I forgot to mention that I’m not fond of a lot of nicotine. Seems like there are a few of these that I should avoid, at least on the front end.
just smoke less of it. Pipes are slow about introducing the nicotine into your system and it's metabolized quickly. So smoke half bowls. Or just avoid them altogether. Either way just saying there are options.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Thanks for the recommendations, all! I forgot to mention that I’m not fond of a lot of nicotine. Seems like there are a few of these that I should avoid, at least on the front end.
Latakia is generally considered a low nicotine leaf. Dark fired Kentucky and burleys are considered high or higher nicotine leaves. Perique apparently increases nicotine absorption due to its alkalinity. So, look for blends without those components.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So perhaps a discussion into what woods are respectable tender used in a proper campfire or wood stove. I used red oak seasoned two years and under a shed I built for a soap stone.

I considered pine not to be as good, but I used it if three seasons from being cut.

Campfires are so inefficient that whatever is somewhat dry is what I used. Pine is excellent in this setting because the concern for creosote is not a factor.

Hickory and any other type of meat smoking wood was savored and kept out of the stove.