PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Where's the pipes? :)

I feel like such a loser - I'm just slow cooking a seasoned top sirloin in the oven for a few hours just to cut it up later and then proceed to make chili. Then again, it's Saturday and only the wife to please and as you might surmise she sets the bar pretty low, lol.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice!

all I want to know is whether your wife’s $20 Kmart knife set was used to defile prep that food, or did you get out the Japanese blades?
Ha ha !
Surprisingly very little prep. The risotto was the only course that to be cooked.
The green salsa was hand chopped and fennel had to be shaved. I'm a real klutz with a mandolin so I prefer to use a knife.
I planned the menu so I could minimise the time spent at the stove. ?

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

We (Sydneysiders) came out of several months of a very strict Covid lockdown weeks before Christmas and I really missed getting together with my mates.

I really enjoy a post-prandial cigar or pipe and having a meal at home is the only practical option because of the ridiculous anti-tobacco laws we have in Oz (and worryingly, spreading world-wide)

One of my guests yesterday has been working in the wine trade for decades - Sth Africa, Germany, London, USA and Australia. He related a conversation he had with a high-ranking executive with Phillip Morris (tobacco and wine&spirits) @1985 who said they were divesting their tobacco and alcohol interests (they owned the largest wine producing group and were one of the largest manufacturers if cigarettes in Oz at that time) because the "writing was on the wall" - the anti-tobacco and alcohol brigade were getting more and more vociferous and had the monetary clout to achieve their their agenda. This was in 1985 ! ?