PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
People warn against dumping ash in a Peterson System. They say it spills moisture in the reservoir into the tobacco chamber.

Can someone let me know if that's a thing. I haven't noticed any ill effects, and I don't think the reservoir holds fluid, or more than enough at most to wet a q-tip, so I don't see it "spilling"

Reactions: SBC

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
When smoking folded flakes there is usually a hole burnt through to the middle, sometimes 2/3 of the chamber down, with unburnt or carbonised flake stuck to the walls. I dig out the ash from that pit and even the surface again. Usually the first couple of puffs relighting the surface taste worse, but it quickly evens out. I find that ribbon usually burns evenly down, but i still like to knock the ash out.

Jun 25, 2021
England
It's never occurred to me to dump ash, never had a reason to.

Maybe have a couple of relights during a session, Apart from that the tobacco just burns down to a fine grey ash with no moisture at all.

I've said it so many times - a good technique will overcome any problem.

• Love
Reactions: SBC and JOHN72

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
People warn against dumping ash in a Peterson System. They say it spills moisture in the reservoir into the tobacco chamber.

Can someone let me know if that's a thing. I haven't noticed any ill effects, and I don't think the reservoir holds fluid, or more than enough at most to wet a q-tip, so I don't see it "spilling"
Haven't had that problem but I have had a moisture stream out of the stem -- depends on how you dump it I guess.

To answer the OP's question I usually dump mid-smoke the cue is when it gets hard to relight, I find that ash is the culprit.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I can only speak from the experience with corn pipes. But I don't like to throw away the ash layer. When I have the opportunity to enjoy with briar pipes, I will do the same technique of conserving all the ash. Removing the ash leads to re-burning the fresh tobacco. And what I want is for the tobacco to have a state of baking. But this is just a personal opinion.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I don’t mid bowl but I rarely smoke down to the very bottom, it doesn’t taste very nice to me, that deep in the trench. I guess it’s like the last bit of the cigarette or the cigar, where all the tar builds up and flavour goes out of the window.
It’s all personal choice at the end of the day.

Reactions: Mr_houston and SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback from each one of you!
Sounds like the group is somewhat divided on the matter.

To interact with a few particulars --

What sort of blends/bowls are you dealing with?

My bowls are all over the place, so far as shape and depth go -- I should pay more careful attention to a possible correlation, here.

As for tobacco, I've noticed this most dramatically with Astley's 44 (which is a darn shame, because the first half is about the most delicious thing I've ever tasted), but to a lesser extent I've noticed it with Union Square. In both cases I've been folding these VA flakes.

The straw which broke the proverbial camel's back, however, leading me to try ash-dumping and to ask this question here, was yesterday when the same thing happened with a bowl of Plum Pudding. I don't remember that happening with that mixture before.

I have not found that doing or not doing has no effect on the taste.

Then you've found that it does have an effect on taste?
:) Just bustin' your chops, JPM! It's not every day that we get to catch you in a double negative. ;-)

The 'acrid' you mentioned sounds like damp tobacco being heated.

Hm, alright, I'm open to the possibility that I should dry it further.

Do you use pipe cleaners mid bowl? I do all the time, it helps remove any moisture that has accumulated. Acrid makes me think wet, if you aren’t already I’d give the mid bowl pipe cleaner a shot.

To date I've done this only when tobacco gets lodged where it shouldn't and I need to open up the draw at the bottom of the bowl.
But maybe I'll start wicking moisture as you suggest, too.

(A few of my pipes don't pass a cleaner, though -- I may take a dremel to them and see if I can't get that corrected.)

pull a move like I’m going to put it down and yank it back up for a relight. When the pipe thinks it’s headed for the bench, it seems to smoke better.

Aha, the old threaten-to-bench-the-pipe-to-manipulated-improved-performance technique.

more likely to be from smoking too fast thereby getting the tobacco too hot.

It's possible! I thought I'd dialed in my cadence and learned to keep most tobaccos in a good range, but maybe I've been getting sloppy!

When smoking folded flakes there is usually a hole burnt through to the middle, sometimes 2/3 of the chamber down, with unburnt or carbonised flake stuck to the walls. I dig out the ash from that pit and even the surface again. Usually the first couple of puffs relighting the surface taste worse, but it quickly evens out.

Yes - this exactly describes how flakes go for me, too. I sometimes find that when I try to correct it by tamping the unburnt flake stuck around the walls, I clog the draft hole at the bottom :-/

the tobacco just burns down to a fine grey ash

It's very satisfying when that happens!

FWIW, the only tobacco that, to me, consistently tastes as good or better to the very bottom of the bowl, is Penzance.

Removing the ash leads to re-burning the fresh tobacco. And what I want is for the tobacco to have a state of baking.

This truly fascinates me. I'd be curious to hear others' perspectives on this as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the feedback from each one of you!
Sounds like the group is somewhat divided on the matter.

<< Snipped bits out >>
As to: Sounds like the group is somewhat divided on the matter.

Pretty usual! But to me it's not close to a critical matter in my smoking.
Then you've found that it does have an effect on taste?
:) Just bustin' your chops, JPM! It's not every day that we get to catch you in a double negative. ;-)

Hm, alright, I'm open to the possibility that I should dry it further.
It might even be a triple negative!

Reactions: JOHN72 and SBC

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Around the half way point my pipe usually goes out. I gently use the picker on my tamper, gently stir the ash and the gently spill what is in the bowl. Once I get all the ash out, I scrape the sides of the bowl( as I always fold and stuff) I relight and then usually have to dump ash one one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.