Expensive Pipes - To Each His Own (Continued)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
View attachment 120026I love the grain in this old factory second Stanwell. It set me back $40 and smokes fine.

Where’s the logic? Beautiful piece of briar. Drilled well. Functional and beautiful.

Stanwell didn’t think it great. Doesn’t wear the S and Crown.

What makes any pipe worth $1000 or more?
The Algerian I posted cost $50.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
My geek thing of the week

With slight modification this could be an interesting thread.
Indeed. But, I find your name even more interesting. I’m not quite sure how exactly to take it. Are you a struggling teenager with questions going through puberty? ?

Ok, ok…. I do think the geek thing if the week might actually be pretty fun - have to find the “nothing to do with pipes” area… but, maybe get some traction? We’ll have to give it a shot.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Marketing & the demand created around that marketing. The lack of supply is essential…ie No more Bo Nordhs being created. BTW, that’s a beautifully grained briar there. ?☕
By that logic, there are no more old factory Denmark Stanwells being created.

Today, what wears an S and Crown would’ve been tossed in the quality control furnace in times past.

Is it marketing? Is it willingness of people to pay top dollar for status?

I think ? we’ve already established it has little to do with enjoying tobacco. At least, I have. — I’m enjoying a $10.99 smoking implement as I write this. Tobacco tastes great.

Diamonds have no value. We assign that value today because of clever marketing scheme that set the established acceptable minimum on engagement rings as being the equivalent of three months salary.

Its a pipe for heaven’s sake. A smoke straw for burning and tasting tobacco.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Similar conversations or arguements occur over on the fountain pen forums regarding Monte Blanc pens. I had a 149 back in the early '90's as pocket jewelry, but not so much to use. Today a MB can cost well over $1000, but it's still just a writing instrument.
It is marketing. I own a Rolex watch which I could sell today for $10,000. It tells the time. Rolex is not the best of Swiss Watches. Rolex is the “best known” of Swiss Watches. Brilliant Marketing has made it a world commodity. — There is no haggling with the cost of a Rolex watch. They increase in price by $500.00 USC annually. — It’s like money in the bank. — like wearing emergency cash on your wrist. Anywhere in the world it can be traded with little haggling.

Dunhill marketing has accomplished same thing. A Dunhill is not the best pipe made. A Dunhill is the “best known” pipe made. — Even non pipe smokers know that a Dunhill is a pipe.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Diamonds have no value. We assign that value today because of clever marketing scheme that set the established acceptable minimum on engagement rings as being the equivalent of three months salary.

We have a winner! We assign value and meaning to everything. Where we go wrong is accepting other’s opinions or where they place value.

It’s like cheese pizza vs pepperoni pizza vs sausage pizza… and then if you go NY style or Chicago style - it’s an all out war! And don’t EVER put catsup on a hotdog. ?

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
It is marketing. I own a Rolex watch which I could sell today for $10,000. It tells the time. Rolex is not the best of Swiss Watches. Rolex is the “best known” of Swiss Watches. Brilliant Marketing has made it a world commodity. — There is no haggling with the cost of a Rolex watch. They increase in price by $500.00 USC annually. — It’s like money in the bank. — like wearing emergency cash on your wrist. Anywhere in the world it can be traded with little haggling.

Dunhill marketing has accomplished same thing. A Dunhill is not the best pipe made. A Dunhill is the “best known” pipe made. — Even non pipe smokers know that a Dunhill is a pipe.
You sound sure of yourself. I see marketing differently because of my education and experience. People come to want a brand because that brand is providing what they want on various levels. Marketing Myth is that someone is making you do something you don't want, but the opposite is true. Folks don't pay $1000 for a smoke pipe to get a better pipe, we all know that, but it does provide a value they desire to obtain.

On Antique Roadshow there was a Oyster Rolex that was purchased because the Vietnam era vet saw pilots wearing them. He paid less than $500, but decided never to wear. Apparently an unused specimen is worth more as a collector item than a watch and could possibly be worth over $500K.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
We have a winner! We assign value and meaning to everything. Where we go wrong is accepting other’s opinions or where they place value.

It’s like cheese pizza vs pepperoni pizza vs sausage pizza… and then if you go NY style or Chicago style - it’s an all out war! And don’t EVER put catsup on a hotdog. ?
I agree it can happen, that we accept other's opinions of value. However, we do it willingly without force. More folks should be more honest about themselves rather than blaming "marketing". They are doing exactly what they want.

All this reminds me of an Elizabeth Barret Browning quote:
"
“Earth’s crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God. But only he who sees takes off his shoes; The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.”
~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Aurora Leigh, Book 7, 1857

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
People come to want a brand because that brand is providing what they want on various levels. Marketing Myth is that someone is making you do something you don't want, but the opposite is true. Folks don't pay $1000 for a smoke pipe to get a better pipe, we all know that, but it does provide a value they desire to obtain.
This is a great topic - we should move this to general discussions because this could get interesting. Not in a bad way…but, I want to learn more for sure about people’s view of marketing.

I bolded part of your comment - and my question to you is… how is the statement you made not marketing? If marketing were a myth, why do companies spend so much money on it? The myth of getting people to do something is actually more about psychology…but some of the brightest minds in marketing have fairly deep backgrounds in psychology. Go figure…

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I agree it can happen, that we accept other's opinions of value. However, we do it willingly without force. More folks should be more honest about themselves rather than blaming "marketing". They are doing exactly what they want.

"
“Earth’s crammed with heaven, and every common bush afire with God. But only he who sees takes off his shoes; The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.”
Interesting take. I don’t know that I blame marketing for anything. Have I been successfully marketed to? Yup. Everyone has. Accepting it is another story. Making a purchase is a behavior. We know people are going to buy products, but how do we get them to buy ours? Paid advertising is wonderful - but I will argue all day long that “experience” will always win. Having someone else promote your product because of their experience is highly sought after as a strategy because you listen to people you trust. If you believe their opinion, they will shape yours. That can impact your attitude toward something and then when you reach an actionable behavior, such as making a purchase, what are you reaching for? You just decided to pick up “x” because you had zero influence that caused you to select something purely out of complete randomness because you wanted to?

Brand is so important - and how you market that brand is far more important to the longevity of your brand…and how you market all depends on where you are in the life-cycle of your product/brand.

Reactions: Grangerous

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013

"
Serious question here. If biz owners don’t think marketing has mystical powers to push desire/demand, then why do companies spend so much on marketing? How is FacePlant worth zillions of dollars?
Why do “influencers” get paid? Thanks in advance for reading.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Interesting take. I don’t know that I blame marketing for anything. Have I been successfully marketed to? Yup. Everyone has. Accepting it is another story. Making a purchase is a behavior. We know people are going to buy products, but how do we get them to buy ours? Paid advertising is wonderful - but I will argue all day long that “experience” will always win. Having someone else promote your product because of their experience is highly sought after as a strategy because you listen to people you trust. If you believe their opinion, they will shape yours. That can impact your attitude toward something and then when you reach an actionable behavior, such as making a purchase, what are you reaching for? You just decided to pick up “x” because you had zero influence that caused you to select something purely out of complete randomness because you wanted to?

Brand is so important - and how you market that brand is far more important to the longevity of your brand…and how you market all depends on where you are in the life-cycle of your product/brand.
Marketing makes us aware. We were already wanting and looking and enterprizes were willing to comply. Those that were not listening went out of business aka Blackberry.

When we were young, we were more willing to be influenced. As we gained experience, less so. Who would choose their dream car because it has a boxer engine and can carry a canoe off road. The most unuseable car for me would be a $100K Porche. I drive a 2015 Forester. Subaru listens!!

Brand respresents predictabilty. We trust that brand until that trust is violated. Then we look elsewhere. Nothing worse, as an example, of a brand getting China to produce an inferior product.

Reactions: forloveoffreedom
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
By that logic, there are no more old factory Denmark Stanwells being created.

Today, what wears an S and Crown would’ve been tossed in the quality control furnace in times past.

Is it marketing? Is it willingness of people to pay top dollar for status?

I think ? we’ve already established it has little to do with enjoying tobacco. At least, I have. — I’m enjoying a $10.99 smoking implement as I write this. Tobacco tastes great.

? I’ll admit my point was a bit simplistic, but damn I like simple. The willingness for folks to pay top dollar is created by lack of supply & yes the marketing. For example, our beloved @Cigar Ash Queen has been showcasing her ? gifts of late. BTW, nice acquisitions ?. I appreciate seeing those unobtainables (at least for me), however I’d never think to buy one as to your point…when a simple MM will do.

So, every time we showcase an MM, Dunny, Nordh, etc. …we are marketing the brand. The companies love us for it. Damn, you’d think I owns stock in Missouri Meerschaum or something. ? The difference between a Nordh & a MM is ? v. ?. Corn is cheap & good grained briar is at a premium cause let’s face it…it’s pretty & harder to source. Combine this with an expert artisan Dane (now smoking Arbath Roundels on a ⛅️ in heaven with many beautiful ladies) there you have it.

And, there are no more old factory Stanwells to be made, hence those pipes for some demand premium pricing. Whether or not their grain is any better than others…I’ll leave to those that know what they are talking bout. And, again nice pipe. ?☕

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Definitely a First World problem being discussed as these are wants not needs.

We’d trade it all away for a glass of water in a desert. Value is based upon either a need or desire. We’re talking desire. Marketing plays to desire

The desire for perceives status — or perceived quality, as in the case of an expensive pipe performing better than one held in less esteem.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Serious question here. If biz owners don’t think marketing has mystical powers to push desire/demand, then why do companies spend so much on marketing? How is FacePlant worth zillions of dollars?
Why do “influencers” get paid? Thanks in advance for reading.
Companies spend money to know what you want. It is part of any project or program managers responsibilty. It is not dishonest. It is ethical. My 2010 Forester's passenger seat was too low. That was corrected in my 2015 Forester.

On this forum there are "influencers". They give their opinions. Most have been around or sound like they know what they are talking about. We might say to ourselves, well they must know and so we will do the same. Or, why not give that maker a try.

Think about those here who do tobacco reviews or pipe reviews. This is not the same as true modern marketing because it is trying to influence you without you asking.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Marketing makes us aware. We were already wanting and looking and enterprizes were willing to comply. Those that were not listening went out of business aka Blackberry.

When we were young, we were more willing to be influenced. As we gained experience, less so. Who would choose their dream car because it has a boxer engine and can carry a canoe off road. The most unuseable car for me would be a $100K Porche. I drive a 2015 Forester. Subaru listens!!

Brand respresents predictabilty. We trust that brand until that trust is violated. Then we look elsewhere. Nothing worse, as an example, of a brand getting China to produce an inferior product.
Hmm… do you mind if I ask what your profession is and education is? You said because of that you know marketing.

I’m going to guess you care about the environment? Perhaps enjoy some outdoor activities in nature? Maybe not. But, are you maybe an educator or an IT professional? Or, healthcare? I doubt you’re a lesbian…but I don’t know (that’s not a dig or me being mean or trying to offend, and I’m going to explain, but we gotta develop this first…).

Reactions: forloveoffreedom

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Thanks for the quick reply. I would enjoy having a beer and debating with you. Being it’s here on SM, I think you just touched on my questions and introduced several more morsels that will create conflicting debate.
As for a Porsche, if you ever get to drive one for a weekend, you will forget you ever saw an advertisement as a kid. You will forget the car is 100k, you will forget you need food, water or oxygen. They are extremely fun cars to drive. Enjoy the morn gents and plz, ca we get some pics of nice pipes here?

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Thanks for the quick reply. I would enjoy having a beer and debating with you. Being it’s here on SM, I think you just touched on my questions and introduced several more morsels that will create conflicting debate.
As for a Porsche, if you ever get to drive one for a weekend, you will forget you ever saw an advertisement as a kid. You will forget the car is 100k, you will forget you need food, water or oxygen. They are extremely fun cars to drive. Enjoy the morn gents and plz, ca we get some pics of nice pipes here?
Your restraint is admired.

Mind if I nibble on the morsels you’re leaving on the table?

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Your restraint is admired.

Mind if I nibble on the morsels you’re leaving on the table?
Noooo, don’t. Both you guys are laying out yuge breadcrumbs. This Pipe forum seems like it’s half industry shills, a quarter long term pipe buds (half who are bored) and a quarter young new pipers who want to argue. Plz don’t make this forum more contentious. That’s what the other zillion sites are for. ???

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Hmm… do you mind if I ask what your profession is and education is? You said because of that you know marketing.

I’m going to guess you care about the environment? Perhaps enjoy some outdoor activities in nature? Maybe not. But, are you maybe an educator or an IT professional? Or, healthcare? I doubt you’re a lesbian…but I don’t know (that’s not a dig or me being mean or trying to offend, and I’m going to explain, but we gotta develop this first…).
I do care about the environment and have an academic background and professional experience in business and marketing.

The last thing a modern business wants to invest in is something not needed or wanted. They spend lots of money to find out.

Enticement is not marketing. Marketing seeks to understand and know the available market. For example, I would love to have a foldable cell phone with the same utilites are my Iphone 7. It will happen. I am not alone.

Forget needs and wants. The Covid vaccine is needed and wanted. Folks might think they don't need a special pipe, but to many responded to how pipe provide a mental/emtional benefit.

And the purpose of understanding the market base is strategic and focued, not for everyone. My bottom line is, marketing is a good thing and we need to come to appreciate. You can be the best engineer on Earth. but if no one needs or wants you are a failure.
Yeah, the beer idea resonates. Are you trying to make me an alcoholic?

Will my Yakima racks fit and go off road. Can the children ride in the back and carry the camping equipment or can I sleep inside on a camping trip? No use for one otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.