PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That’s beautiful wood, is it native to Australia?
Thank you. I believe it is from Madagascar.
The variegated or white ebony has a bit more character than black ebony.
Black ebony and morta bring monochromatic are best used as accents, in my opinion.

Some years ago I had a couple of Laguiole pocket knives made as presents for my 2 boys. One with ebony, and the other with morta handles. I was somewhat disappointed with the results. Those woods are probably used as ferrules or spacers in conjunction with other woods.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of year 2015 Sir Walter Raleigh in a 1922-38 Made in Ireland Peterson Dublin 3 straight smooth dark brown bulldog with a black vulcanite saddle p-lip stem. Just fed the feral cats, and have a little more work to do. Listening to Hopalong Cassidy. The opening claims that "Hopalong Cassidy is a name to be respected and feared." Who in the world would be afraid of a guy named "Hopalong" outside of a midget sex worker?
Peterson3_Dublin_bulldog_1922-38.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Three bowls tonight.

Frog Morton On The Town in my Shao Lan Reverse Calabash.
Smokey and lightly sweet, quite consistent flavor.

Presbyterian in a 2" deep Sandblasted Molina Gigante.
Mostly bready, not quite hitting the sour notes I usually smoke this blend for, my tin might be getting a bit too dry.

Home blend "Nightcap" in a 2.5" deep Peder Jeppesen Stack.
A base of about 30% Star of the East with equal parts Turkish, Perique, Red VA, and Bright VA, plus a booster shot of Latakia, and a hint of Anise and Vanilla.
At 15% Perique that's practically all I can taste, maybe the Anise accentuates it but even halfway down this is very fruity and keeps that note to the very end of the bowl. Smokiness still there throughout the bowl and savory flavor just comes through occasionally.