PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GDWTVB

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Dunkirk, NY
I promise to post pictures later tonight. I went to an estate sale with a large box of pipes marked "$6 each" about 20 pipes. I was tempted to just take the box to the cashier to make an offer for all, as I immediately noticed a Falcon, and I've always wanted to try one. Instead I pulled out my flashlight and went through them. I am not a connoisseur of pipes, so very possibly there are other great pipes I left. But I scored great with the five I bought. First is the Falcon, got that. Next was a Dr. Grabow grand duke. (I'm not an expert but it looks like an author shape to me. I like that shape and wanted one for my collection) It was awhile before I found my third pick. After removing Dr Grabow after Dr Grabow that seemed nothing special; I pulled a Digby 357 London made pipe. Smooth long and slender. Absolutely gorgeous. I never even heard about Digby pipes, but for six bucks this one was going to be mine. I caught the glimpse of silver, not shiny silver but what appeared to be tarnished silver. Close inspection showed it was a sterling band on a BBB London made pipe. Never heard of that one either, but into the buy pile it went. Then I saw it. The dot. I must be dreaming. Surely there isn't a Dunhill in this box of $6 pipes. But there was. Dunhill shell briar #38. There were others I didn't recognize that might be nice but with the Dunhill in my hand I couldn't get cashed out and gone before losing it with excitement.

I've still got work to do, but later tonight I will clean photograph and probably smoke a bowl out of the Dunhill. Lane limited BCA????

Grizz

Yeh, whenever I hear guys talking about insuring their pipes or worrying about theft of their pipes, I'm always baffled. Literally everyone who does not smoke a pipe would assume that ALL pipes that have been used are about $6 a piece. The only ones who would know different would either have been married to a pipesmoker, or a pipesmoker them self. No one in the entire world would guess that a man would spend more than $30 on a new pipe.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Awesome finds, you lucky dog. Digby is a GBD brand. Good pipes. Maybe they are seconds, or a sub-brand. I'm not sure exactly. I had a Digby, and it was a good pipe, but I gave it to a buddy one weekend when staying at his family's lake cabin in the North Woods. Great trip!

My friend's wife is a professional photographer, and she took some pictures of my wife and I walking in the woods at that cabin. At the time, my wife was my girlfriend, and those pictures came out looking like engagement photos. We were not engaged yet, but we got a few of those pics framed and jokingly call them our engagement pictures.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have lived the fantasy of most of the pipe smoking world. All of your choices were good, from Dr. Grabows in good shape for six, to BBB which is a grand old pipe brand. And a six dollar Dunhill presumable in smokeable shape. That is the hallucinatory prize.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Great score on that little Dunhill!!...........
I agree with Dave- 1956. And the #38 shape is uncommon, you'll see a lot more #40 Lovats, than the #38's............. That's just an incredible buy, and I hope she's a great smoker!!
I just bought a 38... a 1957 I think. And I did not pay $6.00. Wow...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
$6 for a pipe worth $200(ish)? Pfffffffttttt... Why, that ain't nuthin'.

A woman in upstate NY a while back found an unusually large pipe at a church fundraiser yard sale, sitting between a pile of Tupperware and a stack of moldy-smelling books. She held it up for a price (her husband liked pipes) and the lady in charge responded with one finger. The church wanted a dollar for it.

A few weeks later the pipe sold for $7200 on eBay. This was before there were many reseller/flipper stores, and private account sales were common, so other than the percent or two eBay fee, it all went directly in her pocket.

Now that's some serious pipe findin'...:col:

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
I have a Grabow author in that shape. It looks exactly the same, except mine is painted orange. It has a vulcanite stem with non-filter adjustomatic screw tenon.

It's one of my favorite pipes, especially for traveling. I paid five dollars for mine at a flea market.

You done good. You bought a fine rotation of pipes. The price was certainly right.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014