PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Just bought this one not too long ago and I do understand some pipes have a breaking in period but after 3 bowls it is putting out a slight tea tree oil smell and taste. Have any of you experienced this with Savinelli pipes?

Reactions: tobefrank

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Probably the bowl coating used? I have no experience with Savinelli pipes, but I do have experience with other manufacturers. Some bowl coatings I can tolerate through the break in process and others have to be removed before breaking in. Can you tolerate it for a few more bowls?

Reactions: eljimmy

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Probably the bowl coating used? I have no experience with Savinelli pipes, but I do have experience with other manufacturers. Some bowl coatings I can tolerate through the break in process and others have to be removed before breaking in. Can you tolerate it for a few more bowls?
I can definitely power through it. Just the first time I experience this and wondered if anyone else has had this experience.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
This stuff has worked like a charm for me. I had a new Meerschaum that had a funny taste even after 20 bowls and this stuff did the trick. A good cleaner and deodorizer.
Screenshot_20210921-114627.png

Reactions: eljimmy

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’m guessing lesser cured briar. I think that is a huge part of what people went through in the briar heyday. It’s the main reason why there are bowl coatings and why brands were marketing pre-smoked pipes. They even had smoking machines that would break in pipes.

Reactions: Merton and eljimmy

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I use a high proof clear fruit brandy. But any high proof spirit eg vodka
or gin will do.

Advantage of that is I always have some in my liqour cabinet, and it leaves a pleasant aroma in the bowl (which dissipates after the 1st or 2nd smoke).

And I know it is definitely not toxic (unless consumed by the gallon !)
Thank you, I do have some Everclear on hand. What is your technique? Hahaha! don't consume the gallon!

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper