PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
As the title says, is there a particular stem material you dislike for any reason and why.

I myself dislike Vulcanite for the simple reason that is oxidation.
I bought a NOS Brebbia last year from the 80s that was really shiny, but after a year of sitting on the rack and only being smoked maybe a dozen times it is starting to oxidize. Pisses me off.
Acrylic for me from now on.

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
Though I haven't much experience with vulcanites (as I've only had mine for a couple weeks now), I believe one has to periodically give it a rub with mineral oil, even if racked, from what I've read. After I finish with that particular pipe, I go through the regular cleaning, then give the stem a thorough rub with a paper towel and foodsafe, unscented mineral oil, trying not to touch it anymore until I smoke it again.

It doesn't take that long and you can buy the stuff for pennies at a pharmacy. There are special products too for this, if you're so inclined.

(I'm aware there are more dedicated people that go through very heavy maintenance processes with their vulcanite stems, using various kinds of cloths, obsidian stem oil and I am sure that sort of treatment will keep such a stem oxidation free for a very long time, but I doubt basic, periodic cleaning and treatment will disappointl)

To be strictly on topic, I have to say I prefer the mouth feel of vulcanite, so far. I do expect some chatter marks to appear eventually, but I guess that comes with the hobby. Stem goes in my mouth, not on display, so I don't really care about that minute sort of a visual detail.

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are different grades of vulcanite, except that when you buy a pipe, it is seldom stated what you are getting.

Some producers do make a point of stating they use higher quality German vulcanite. Kudos to them

On the weekend I reached for a Pete which was bought new, ans smoked no more than twice. It's kept at all times in a cupboard with the rest of my pipes. Stem starting to oxidise. ? It was one of the higher grade Petes, so a mark against Pete.

Luckily 10minutes with some toothpaste and paper towels followed with an oil rub has it looking better. It may need a bit more work on it before I'm satisfied.

Most of my pipes are estates with vulcanite stems. The majority are pre-70s and a substantial number are centenarians. I don't seem to have much oxidation problems with these oldies, once I get rid of the initial oxidation (when the pipes arrive). Perhaps the vulcanite used then was better in quality.

Quite a few members have a oreference for vulcanite over acrylic. I have quite a few with Amber/Redmanol/Bakelite stems or orific buttons. I use softy bits on almost all my pipes so I'm not overly concerned with how soft or how thin the button is.

Reactions: Reggie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As the title says, is there a particular stem material you dislike for any reason and why.

I myself dislike Vulcanite for the simple reason that is oxidation.
I bought a NOS Brebbia last year from the 80s that was really shiny, but after a year of sitting on the rack and only being smoked maybe a dozen times it is starting to oxidize. Pisses me off.
Acrylic for me from now on.
I mostly agree.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Vulcanite and juma are my go to stems. Acrylic is painful and very few makers produce a comfortable acrylic stem excluding IMP.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Vulcanite and plastic for me.

Acrylic is brutal on my teeth. Especially while bouncing around on the tractor, trying to enjoy a bowl...

Worst of all though are my beloved clays.
Those are relegated to a non clenching smoke.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Vulcanite for me. I've never used a softy bit and don't really like the idea, though I'm not absolutely opposed. If I had any pipes left with acrylic stems that I absolutely loved, I may give the softy bits a try. But, for now all of my pipe window shopping has been strictly focused on vulcanite. Acrylic is too hard to be comfortable to me.

I prefer vulcanite, but that doesn't necessarily translate into me hating other stem material. I probably wouldn't be crazy about stainless steel stems, but since there aren't any, no worries.

I like vulcanite because it is softer on my teeth. I have horn stems, which are also much easier on my teeth. Acrylic, and amber also, but just not as crazy about those. The feel of them on my teeth just strikes nerves, like chewing aluminum foil. But, I still smoke those occasionally, just not my everyday clenchers.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
It's a trade-off, so I don't have a preference. Vulcanite oxidizes, but feels better. Acrylic feels too hard and will snap off easily if the pipe is dropped just right,* but looks pretty. Whatcha gonna do?

* Three times for me. How about you?

Reactions: lawdawg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I always aspired to cleaning my stems. I knew I would like them black and shiny but not enough to do anything about it. Plus, if I looked at anything it was the bowl.