PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The tobacco's tasting profile should be similar to Roll Cake or Stockton. I will grab one only because I love MB's older tin art.
It really shouldn't. Roll Cake has maple flavouring, very little Kentucky, and no Perique. Don't know Stockton, and sadly haven't managed to try Doblone D'Oro but damn, a proper VaPerKy by MacBaren sounds amazing.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Funny because Mac Baren for years has claimed that Royal Twist and Roll Cake are identical, that Roll Cake was just a re-branding.

I bought a tin of Royal Twist at a pipe show a few years ago, it was quite old, probably mid 80s as the importer was "Martin Bros" (so after Fireside and before Swisher). The tobacco was like smoking black pepper, it was unbelievably spicy. And that's after smoking 5 bowls a day for 3 days straight at the show, my mouth was already dead, and this stuff just blew me apart, it was some firey, nasty stuff. Even the D'oblone doesn't come close. D'obolone is a little ugly, but it's ugly in a deep kentucky kinda way. The Royal Twist was terrifying. Like a Va/Per on steroids.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Club Blend is my favorite of the Mac B roll cakes, with Dark Twist second, and I’ve got some very well-aged stocks of both. On top of that, I’m burned out on special editions lately, so I’m just going pretend this doesn’t exist and hope I wouldn’t like it anyway.