PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Walnut Flake in the Ornsby Pipe. One more episode of The Killing with a bottle of Green King Abbott Ale Reserve and a drop of 7yo Cuban rum and that should do it for me.
Abbot Ale is a good pint; I had 2 pints of Bakewell Best Bitter today - it helped wash all that Mac Baren Virginia pipe smoke down!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Finishing up a bowl of Mac Baren Virginia No. 1 in my Altinay meer, drinking a Sierra Nevada Fantastic Haze IPA ...these two are doing some great things together on my palate. Thinking Yorktown for the next bowl (it goes really well with IPAs in my opinion, too) -cheers folks, have a nice evening!
@kg.legat0 I've been smoking Mac Baren Virginia No. 1 in my clay pipe today. Thanks @marconi!

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
@virkia
I'd like to see how much they hold and how long it takes to smoke one!
According to notes I made when I bought them in the 1980s "From 1 to 2oz"
20210518_174742.jpg

Some 'Cadger' pipe designs are considerably larger than others with the largest being the 'footballers' (4cm at entrance to chamber and 8cm from top to bottom of chamber) and the smallest being the 'plain' - either with spur or without.
Alongside a normal size working man's clay of the period:-
20210518_175221.jpg

While the Brits never attempted to emulate the beautifully elaborate clays with enamelled colours and fantastical designs of the French houses - such as L. Fiolet and Gambier - on the other side of the coin the French never attempted to emulate the massive Cadger pipes of the Brits and as far as I'm aware the only French bowls of comparable size are to be found in their Cherry-wood pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.