Oct 12, 2011
WMKnqHz.jpg
, with a shot of Ezra Brooks...

El Rey del Mundo Oscuro​

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If you think of it, boiling/perking degrades coffee. You need hot water to pass through the ground beans, and that 's all you need. Perking is due to the boil. You just lost flavor.

Now it may be that moku pot people know how to manipulate that brew and get good moku flavor. I never did but apparently the Europeans do.
You have to just get it hot enough to go up the stem inside and then remove from heat. Right before boiling. You don’t want to it boil... heat VERY slowly
@danimalia

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Its obvious that I don't know how the Europeans use this pot so much successfully. I think part of it is that they've habituated to a different style.
Here’s the key to a mocha pot in my opinion. Bring some water almost to a boil and add that water to the base. Then carefully with a towel screw on the top and leave the lid open. Turn the heat to medium and the coffee should start brewing out within the first 30 seconds. Turn it off or take it off the stove better yet right before it starts to finish brewing.

By starting with cold water, you end up with a more bitter brew in my experience. Try this technique and let me know what you think. It works very well for me.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Here’s the key to a mocha pot in my opinion. Bring some water almost to a boil and add that water to the base. Then carefully with a towel screw on the top and leave the lid open. Turn the heat to medium and the coffee should start brewing out within the first 30 seconds. Turn it off or take it off the stove better yet right before it starts to finish brewing.

By starting with cold water, you end up with a more bitter brew in my experience. Try this technique and let me know what you think. It works very well for me.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I bet that 99.9% of the millions of users across the world don't & won't do this method.
I fill it with water, fill the basket with my favorite store bought expresso not tamping it down, put in on the stove, crank to high, listen to when its done, drink it. Sometime froth some milk with a $15.00 battery operated frother from Amazon.
Like smoking a pipe, we can make as much out of making a cup of coffee as we do burning leaves in a pipe.
Do what hits your hot button.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I bet that 99.9% of the millions of users across the world don't & won't do this method.
I fill it with water, fill the basket with my favorite store bought expresso not tamping it down, put in on the stove, crank to high, listen to when its done, drink it. Sometime froth some milk with a $15.00 battery operated frother from Amazon.
Like smoking a pipe, we can make as much out of making a cup of coffee as we do burning leaves in a pipe.
Do what hits your hot button.
Couldn’t agree more. If you are happy with your results, then great. If not, then try something like this.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

Crud. I just made one before I saw your post. Will try it tomorrow.

Now smoking La Imperiosa Corona Gorda.

16192278649111287521857785298978.jpg

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Do it, man, it's fun. I'm getting better I think. It is not nearly as good as a well pulled shot from a good coffee bar, but it is still somewhat close.
I agree that it's not as good, but don't think of it as espresso. It's not, since you don't have the pressure. It makes a great, concentrated cup of coffee. Espresso grind is probably too fine for a moka pot--a bit courser would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.