PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I find filter pipes smoke just fine without any filter or adaptors. If you really like a pipe don't let it bother you.
Outside of cobs I have only owned 1 pipe with a filter. It is also the only pipe I ever bought that was so disappointing in person when it arrived, I resold it as brand new, unsmoked. So my experience with filter pipes is limited at best. The cobs I smoke with no filter, although I have tried a few with the make your own balsa wood filters. Not exciting enough to continue making them for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned a few 6mm Savinelli's and 9 mm Winslow's and I ditched all the filters and adapters. They all smoked great without them. I have never understood why people use filters. It does nothing for the flavor and I think they would smoke wetter than a regular pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Outside of cobs I have only owned 1 pipe with a filter. It is also the only pipe I ever bought that was so disappointing in person when it arrived, I resold it as brand new, unsmoked. So my experience with filter pipes is limited at best. The cobs I smoke with no filter, although I have tried a few with the make your own balsa wood filters. Not exciting enough to continue making them for me.
I find that I don't like the way filtered cobs smoke with or without the filter. Mind if I ask what was disapointing about the non-cob filter pipe? I still stick with my original statement, that if you find a pipe you really like I wouldn't worry about if it has a filter or not. I avoided filter pipes for a long time. Until I found a Vauen that otherwise was the precise thing I was looking for in a pipe. Pretty much a classic bent brandy with just a touch of flair. Embarrassingly I didn't notice it was a filter pipe until after placing the order. Glad I didn't notice cause that pipe just smokes great.

Reactions: Ethan

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I have owned a few 6mm Savinelli's and 9 mm Winslow's and I ditched all the filters and adapters. They all smoked great without them. I have never understood why people use filters. It does nothing for the flavor and I think they would smoke wetter than a regular pipes.
I never really dug the filters. I feel like they are training wheels. You can't really ride a bike properly with training wheels but they help you get to the point where you can ride without them. But they really do kill some of the flavor of a smoke which can be more pronounced with certain blends. I often wonder things like.... if we asked people who use a filter what they smoke most often if any clear patterns would emerge. And then if a pattern emerged would we find that some blends play better with filters then others. Either way even when I smoked cigs I preferred unfiltered smokes except camels (which use a different blend then filtered camels do, you can tell by how much better of a smoke a filtered camel with the filter removed is then the unfiltered camels are).

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
In my experience filters offer a drier smoke and that's the main reason I use them in 90% of my smokes. Being a "wet smoker" salivation is a big problem and filters help it a lot. Activated charcoal does affect the taste somewhat, balsa not at all. But they both take away all the moisture which prevents me to enjoy the pipe. Pipe cleaners are not a solution for wet smoking when you're not at home but filters are.
I assume you belong to the world of clenchers who don't need to swab a non filtered pipe even once during a two hour smoke and I envy you all. :D

Reactions: kimbiker

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I find that I don't like the way filtered cobs smoke with or without the filter. Mind if I ask what was disapointing about the non-cob filter pipe? I still stick with my original statement, that if you find a pipe you really like I wouldn't worry about if it has a filter or not. I avoided filter pipes for a long time. Until I found a Vauen that otherwise was the precise thing I was looking for in a pipe. Pretty much a classic bent brandy with just a touch of flair. Embarrassingly I didn't notice it was a filter pipe until after placing the order. Glad I didn't notice cause that pipe just smokes great.
It was a fit, and finish issue. Stem not properly seated to shank within reason, drilling off on the inside. Overall just poor manufacturing. I didn't pay a ton for it. It was kind of my...maybe I will try a filter pipe. After receiving it I never got really curious again. The few others I have passed up were really nice looking pipes, and then I remembered the last one and the thought did occur to me that maybe filter pipes are a design to compensate for a lack of precise tolerances. Kind of in the same way sandblasts are a way to use lesser quality briar that would ordinarily wind up with a bunch of fills obvious in a smooth finish. I could be wrong though.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It was a fit, and finish issue. Stem not properly seated to shank within reason, drilling off on the inside. Overall just poor manufacturing. I didn't pay a ton for it. It was kind of my...maybe I will try a filter pipe. After receiving it I never got really curious again. The few others I have passed up were really nice looking pipes, and then I remembered the last one and the thought did occur to me that maybe filter pipes are a design to compensate for a lack of precise tolerances. Kind of in the same way sandblasts are a way to use lesser quality briar that would ordinarily wind up with a bunch of fills obvious in a smooth finish. I could be wrong though.
they're different in their drilling but nothing that would fix or cover any issues.