PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I kept hearing so much about nightcap and had to try a tin. I hated it at first and then after 7 smokes, I began to tolerate it. I believe Nightcap will simply be one of those tobaccos that will be smoked maybe 3x a year. I just feel like I am smoking salt & pepper. I respect Peterson as a business but this blend doesn't do it for me.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I kept hearing so much about nightcap and had to try a tin. I hated it at first and then after 7 smokes, I began to tolerate it. I believe Nightcap will simply be one of those tobaccos that will be smoked maybe 3x a year. I just feel like I am smoking salt & pepper. I respect Peterson as a business but this blend doesn't do it for me.
Have you tried other English blends? Curious if its Nightcap you dont like or English blends generally. I am a fan of English blends and have 6 or 7 jarred and in my rotation but they tend to be on the mild to medium side and I havent tried Nightcap yet.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
Have you tried other English blends? Curious if its Nightcap you dont like or English blends generally. I am a fan of English blends and have 6 or 7 jarred and in my rotation but they tend to be on the mild to medium side and I havent tried Nightcap yet.
No, I haven't tried other English blends as of yet. On my list is Sutliff 503C Heavy English and 504c Aromatic English, John Bull, Peterson: Early Morning Pipe and GL Pease Spark Plug.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I love Nightcap. Perhaps it's the time of day or conditions in which I smoke it but I tend to get a decent nicotine hit from it and I really like the flavor of it. I love the perique and orientals. As a more recently devoted pipe smoker myself, I'm still finding nuances in flavors every time I smoke it. I am also still learning my own palate and trying to decipher what leaf is doing what in the blend. Regardless, I really like this blend quite a bit.

As far as other English blends, my $.02: Early Morning Pipe, Boswell's Northwoods, GL Pease Maltese Falcon, and MM965.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I love Nightcap. Perhaps it's the time of day or conditions in which I smoke it but I tend to get a decent nicotine hit from it and I really like the flavor of it. I love the perique and orientals. As a more recently devoted pipe smoker myself, I'm still finding nuances in flavors every time I smoke it. I am also still learning my own palate and trying to decipher what leaf is doing what in the blend. Regardless, I really like this blend quite a bit.

As far as other English blends, my $.02: Early Morning Pipe, Boswell's Northwoods, GL Pease Maltese Falcon, and MM965.
I have tried Nightcap at different times of the day.. different weather conditions and it's at the bottom of the list for me. Though I am a brand new smoker, I am really interested in learning the science of blending.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nightcap: One of those hyped blends I just had to have because the tin art was wonderful to my eye. I got it when it was still Dunhill, mind you, but the recipe is the same for both Dunhill and Peterson.

I didn't care for it much. Just like most English blends, it is unidimensional, monotonous, and a chamberful of meh.

I reckon some like it because it has more nicotine content (hence its name), but since upon the whole I don't get nicotine from pipes that makes no difference to me.

Mar 1, 2014
Glad to hear they haven't toned it down.

Nightcap is a Latakia heavy blend, complexity is not the name of the game, it's all about being bold.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As you mentioned, John Bull might be an English blend that serves as an introduction, mild and nicely balanced. Nightcap is a challenging step up from milder blends, though hardly at the top of the strong blend category. Like any blend, Nightcap can change from year to year, and with age. Jar what you have left and try it in two or three years. Your taste will change, and it may mellow a little in the meantime.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Heh. I didn't care for it either, when I tried it as a new pipesmoker. I just found it muddled and sort of acrid. I should revisit it now that I have more experience. I have found a number of blends that beat Nightcap at its own game, as a dark Latakia+Perique blend. GL Pease's Blackpoint and Quiet Nights, in particular. I don't know if it's still available, but Lane Crown Achievement was another one I preferred over Nightcap.