Vulcanite vs Acrylic Stems.....Which do you Prefer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Keweenaw

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
Michigan
I first seriously smoked pipes about 2006. Did lots of reading, video watching, and talking to a few who smoked themselves. Vulcanite was overwhelmingly the choice of stems for the comfort, quality, etc. The years passed and I find myself growing tired of the struggle to keep vulcanite shiny. I realize that’s lots of pipers enjoy fiddling around buffing and polishing their stems, at times I still do. The past four or five years I have purchased more Italian makers pipes than not because they predominantly use acrylic. Your thoughts please....

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
half a dozen of one half a dozen of the other. Honestly could not care either way. Vulcanite feels slightly better but not too much. And oxidization is annoying but not not that annoying to deal with. Basically it's never had any effect on my pipe choice in any way. I have not even thought of stem material at all until joining this forum and hearing two members say never on acrylic, heard their complaints and said makes not a difference to me.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
half a dozen of one half a dozen of the other. Honestly could not care either way. Vulcanite feels slightly better but not too much. And oxidization is annoying but not not that annoying to deal with. Basically it's never had any effect on my pipe choice in any way. I have not even thought of stem material at all until joining this forum and hearing two members say never on acrylic, heard their complaints and said makes not a difference to me.
Exactly. That’s why these questions are always fun.

Italian pipes also suck. Unless they have vulcanite stems.

Hello Pierluigi, the only Italian pipe I’ll ever own.

BTW, I hate cobs too.

P.S. if you really on my opinions for life advice. Get a life. Lol.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Exactly. That’s why these questions are always fun.

Italian pipes also suck. Unless they have vulcanite stems.

Hello Pierluigi, the only Italian pipe I’ll ever own.

BTW, I hate cobs too.

P.S. if you really on my opinions for life advice. Get a life. Lol.
funny my Italian pipe has a vulcanite stem that I just recently cleaned up. My oldest pipe by the way.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Has to be old. Italians are all in on the acrylic train.
it was new back in the mid 90's when I picked it up for well under the market value. My tobacconist refused to sell me another pipe until it went on sale and someone bought it so I got the Brebbia for the none sale price on the other one. An offer I couldn't refuse literally.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
As an old guy with old teeth, that tend to mark up my stems, I now always use rubber stem tips. Therefore, the comfort level is the same no matter the stem material of the pipe. I actually like the stem tips, as they allow me comfort, no matter how much I clench when out walking or working hands free.
And, no, I don't get any adverse "rubbery" taste from the tips.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Over the years I've grown to like vulcanite over acrylic. Especially since I've gravitated towards lightweight clenching pipes. Having said that if it's light enough then I can't necessarily say vulcanites advantages over lucite are realized. I've got some badly oxidized stems that suck moisture away from my mouth...but I still prefer vulcanite over acrylic for its clenching "softness". If looks are your thing then you probably won't have the same preferences.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ebonite, bakelite, horn, and amber. I've got a few pipes with acrylic stems, but with the exception of one, they're look at only.

Reactions: BROBS