PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
You’d think I’d have something like this figured out.

I rarely buy pipe cleaners now, because nearly a decade ago (in the time before Cigar International bought the P&C website) I went through a serious bout of PCAD (Pipe Clearner Acquisition Disorder) and continue to use pipe cleaners from this months-long episode to this day. BJ Longs are serviceable, and they made a variety of lengths and thicknesses. But they shed fuzz. I’ve put up with it for years, but it still bugs me. Fuzz.

I’ve tried Stanwell’s pipe cleaners. They don’t shed as much, but still, fuzz. Mac Baren’s? Fuzz. Fuzz! It’s driving me nuts!

Okay, it’s not that bad, but there’s room for improvement. I used to pick up Dill’s at the grocery store, but that was a long time ago, so I don’t know if there’s been any change in quality over the years.

So ... what pipe cleaners do you use? Do you like yours with bristles? Do you use pipe cleaners at all? If there such thing as a pipe cleaner that does not shed?

:ROFLMAO: -Help!!

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
I love pipe cleaner discussions! Haha

So, I think that it’s a good idea to keep a variety of cleaners on hand for different things. Brigham Churchwarden length, or B.J. Long’s 9-inch are handy for Canadian, longer bamboo shanks, and Churchwardens (duh).

If you have a bunch of modern pipes with more-open airways, then skinny cleaners might not work well and you need fluffy, or tapered cleaners, the latter being more versatile for a wider range of airways.

Peterson, Brigham Regular & Brigham bristled are excellent and shed very little. Having said that, my all-time favorite are Blitz. It’s basically an “all-in-one” that’s lightly bristled, but still useable for all applications. They pretty much don’t shed at all and the wire is very firm.
Unfortunately, supply has been spotty lately and there’s a possibility that they won’t be available going forward.

We recently started carrying White Elephant cleaners from Germany and they’re similarly excellent. I think they’ll be my preferred cleaners going forward if I can’t continue to get my hands on Blitz.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA

So, I think that it’s a good idea to keep a variety of cleaners on hand for different things. Brigham Churchwarden length, or B.J. Long’s 9-inch are handy for Canadian, longer bamboo shanks, and Churchwardens (duh).

If you have a bunch of modern pipes with more-open airways, then skinny cleaners might not work well and you need fluffy, or tapered cleaners, the latter being more versatile for a wider range of airways.

Peterson, Brigham Regular & Brigham bristled are excellent and shed very little. Having said that, my all-time favorite are Blitz. It’s basically an “all-in-one” that’s lightly bristled, but still useable for all applications. They pretty much don’t shed at all and the wire is very firm.
Unfortunately, supply has been spotty lately and there’s a possibility that they won’t be available going forward.

We recently started carrying White Elephant cleaners from Germany and they’re similarly excellent. I think they’ll be my preferred cleaners going forward if I can’t continue to get my hands on Blitz.
Wow ShaneIreland belated Welcome - didn't know you were here

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I used to love the Decatur tapered cleaners. They had a nice stiff core so they wouldn’t bend and become unusable through a tight spot, they didn’t shed and they were fluffy enough at one end and skinny enough at the other. Sadly haven’t been able to find them in years so I’m using the Brigham’s. The Brighams are pretty good, don’t shed, I do find they will buckle if push through a tight spot which annoys me.

I just purchased the white elephants that @shaneireland just mentioned to give them a shot and so far they are indeed excellent. Both the regular and the bristle. They’ve a Got a strong core, good size, don’t shed! Might still need to stock the Brigham fluffy for the bigger drafts but so far I love these elephants!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
You gentlemen have me thinking that maybe I’ve been a little hard on the BJ Longs; a lot of fans here. I have been using them for years, they come in many lengths and thicknesses and they’re pretty inexpensive. Maybe I’m just being picky.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016

You’ve got me thinking that I’m going about this wrong. I sampled the hell out of tobacco blends; maybe I should be sampling the hell out of pipe cleaners. You and lightxmyfire have gotten me curious about White Elephant ... I may have to do something like order some from smokingpipes.com and try them out ... ;)

Reactions: Toast
Status
Not open for further replies.