PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Charatans are actually my favorite British pipes.
That is so nice looking! ?

Lucky bastard, why can’t I get that kinda luck. :cry:

Ahhhh where can I get a Dunhull? LOL :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, never heard of that before, I need to keep my eyes open, cause I want! :eek:

Anyone got a Dunhull they want to sell? bdw
Just keep your eyes open. A dearly missed old friend on here, Sante, found one for a dollar at a yard sale IIRC. I even got this big HT XL Collector for $150.

20201129_223141.jpg

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I have 10 or 12 Dunhills, all estates. I love the way they smoke. I also have Upshall, Comoy, Charatans, Savinelli's, Barling and others that smoke good as well. A well made pipe is a well made pipe and should be a good smoker. For me, Upshall and Dunhill Tanshells have never disappointed. I have had other "quality" pipes that have had to go on down the road.
There is a butt for every saddle and a saddle for every butt. You just have to find your comfort brands/pipes. I think a great part of the enjoyment is the looking for those special pipes.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I bought this one from SPC, from their EU site, it wasn’t expensive is why I bought it. But, if I ever get another, going to need to be on the Dunhull look out... LOL ;)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
99% of my pipes are Dunhill Billards,Old and new, from Dr* to ***. I love the classic shape and never had any problems. I Have never noticed one smoking "better" than the others. I don't think they are expensive, depends on your income level. Do they smoke better than the others?-to me,Yes. I would guess it's the briar used. I like their stems too. I don't buy pipes to show off to the neighbors. They don't have a clue. We are a rare breed. People smoke weed nowadays, not pipe Tabacco. Those badly drilled Dunhills you guys have, send them my way. ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
99% of my pipes are Dunhill Billards,Old and new, from Dr* to ***. I love the classic shape and never had any problems. I Have never noticed one smoking "better" than the others. I don't think they are expensive, depends on your income level. Do they smoke better than the others?-to me,Yes. I would guess it's the briar used. I like their stems too. I don't buy pipes to show off to the neighbors. They don't have a clue. We are a rare breed. People smoke weed nowadays, not pipe Tabacco. Those badly drilled Dunhills you guys have, send them my way. ?

I'll pay the postage if you send them to me!
You lucky man; you can waltz into Iwan Ries most any time, yes?

• Haha
Reactions: dcon

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Were it not for those acrylic stems, I'd have a closet full of them.
The only drawback to the Savinelli Punto Oro Gold 904 KS I just grabbed is the acrylic stem. I just got back from 16 hours of driving with working a fire scene between. I smoked my Savinelli 4 times alternating with my Ryan Alden’s and a Linkman Grabow. That acrylic is a deal breaker. I really like the shape, but that acrylic ruins the pipe. I’m a clencher. It’s a shame, just when I thought my Savinelli drought was over.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The only drawback to the Savinelli Punto Oro Gold 904 KS I just grabbed is the acrylic stem. I just got back from 16 hours of driving with working a fire scene between. I smoked my Savinelli 4 times alternating with my Ryan Alden’s and a Linkman Grabow. That acrylic is a deal breaker. I really like the shape, but that acrylic ruins the pipe. I’m a clencher. It’s a shame, just when I thought my Savinelli drought was over.
My Giubileo d'Oro 904 has an acrylic stem too, so it's display only.

20200325_141833.jpg

Luckily, the pair of Giubileo d'Oro 9004s I got from Pipestud still have the vulcanite.

20200603_135948-1.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've been very happy with my Petersons (despite the inexplicable protractors, they are really fine pipes) and an occasional Nording, and others. So what makes Dunhill so special beyond aesthetics? I wouldn't mind owning one, but I'm not prepared to spend a month's earnings for what might be just name prestige. Is it the quality of briar? Where it comes from? Or something else?

I would love to know what you think.

You bought this pipe back in 2016, you must have formed an opinion by now.

I’m only chasing good condition Dunhills from before 1980, and only to add to my collection of Rhodesians and Bulldogs. I love the couple of group 1s I have for single flake smokes. I will snap them up whenever I can find one I can afford.

I’m not anxious about getting a lemon amongst that generation of Dunhills. Would I pay $400 for one? Nope.

But let us know how yours smoked!

— Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.