PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For those of you who have not followed my journey working with Jack Howell here is a quick recap. I found out through a friend that Jack was making pipes again so I contacted Jack, I asked him to make me a pipe a Brandy.The pipe smoked so freaking good and looked great so I asked him to make me his version of a 1960's Dunhill LB Billiard. It turned out fantastic and smoked even better. I was hooked so I asked Jack to make me a set of 7 classic shaped pipes in the group 5 range.

He would show me pictures of the progress he was making and asked a few questions here or there.
I basically stayed out of his way and let him do his thing.It was an extremely easy process. I could not be happier with the results. I am so happy that Jack is working on another project for me. I am really excited to be working with Jack as I have had some pent up ideas that have been sitting in my head since Rad Davis retired.

I also need to give thanks to Neill Archer Roan as he was the one who told me that Jack was back and making pipes again, I had been after a Howell pipe for years and never thought I would get one much less 7 and counting.

Brandy

LB Billiard

Dublin

Rhodesian

Lovat

Bulldog

Apple

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Love the blast—nice and deep and craggy—and the classic shapes and deep brown/burgundy stain really shows it off! Congratulations!

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
But now the vital question--which shape for which day of the week? Indeed, I've always been curious whether there was any logic to Dunhill or any other maker's day choices--a bruyère bulldog for Saturday, say.

Reactions: cornedbeef

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
For those of you who have not followed my journey working with Jack Howell here is a quick recap. I found out through a friend that Jack was making pipes again so I contacted Jack, I asked him to make me a pipe a Brandy.The pipe smoked so freaking good and looked great so I asked him to make me his version of a 1960's Dunhill LB Billiard. It turned out fantastic and smoked even better. I was hooked so I asked Jack to make me a set of 7 classic shaped pipes in the group 5 range.

He would show me pictures of the progress he was making and asked a few questions here or there.
I basically stayed out of his way and let him do his thing.It was an extremely easy process. I could not be happier with the results. I am so happy that Jack is working on another project for me. I am really excited to be working with Jack as I have had some pent up ideas that have been sitting in my head since Rad Davis retired.

I also need to give thanks to Neill Archer Roan as he was the one who told me that Jack was back and making pipes again, I had been after a Howell pipe for years and never thought I would get one much less 7 and counting.

Brandy

LB Billiard

Dublin

Rhodesian

Lovat

Bulldog

Apple
Incredible

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm torn, here.

The pipes are spot-on specimens of traditional English shapes updated with today's American sensibility. "Modernized" if you will, and sporting a level of precision in execution that the Brits were unaware was even possible when they ruled the high end PipeWorld.

So. 10/10 in every way, by every measure. The fishing world's loss is the PipeWorld's gain, however long it might last.

What bothers me, though---the reason I'm torn---is acknowledging that state of affairs is an admission of sorts that Harris actually has taste and knows something about pipes. rotf

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm torn, here.

The pipes are spot-on specimens of traditional English shapes updated with today's American sensibility. "Modernized" if you will, and sporting a level of precision in execution that the Brits were unaware was even possible when they ruled the high end PipeWorld.

So. 10/10 in every way, by every measure. The fishing world's loss is the PipeWorld's gain, however long it might last.

What bothers me, though---the reason I'm torn---is acknowledging that state of affairs is an admission of sorts that Harris actually has taste and knows something about pipes. rotf

George, as a friend of mine used to say even a blind pig can find an acorn once in a while. Finding seven shows a certain amount of industry, but nothing more.

• Haha
Reactions: mau1