PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
How prevalent are the Orientals? Sounds like it is worth trying.
Here's my reviews for the three Vengeur blends:

D&R Vengeur Platinum:
The grassy, very tart and tangy citrusy, slightly woody gold leaf Virginia forms the base of the blend. The nutty, toasty, earthy, woody, slightly cocoa-ish burleys are an important condiment. The dry and lightly sour, woody, vegetative, herbal, lightly floral, smoky Oriental also offers a pinch of spice in the background. The strength threshold is in the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a step closer to medium. The nic-hit is a rung below the strength level. Won’t bite and has no harsh moments, and barely has any rough edges. Gets a tad stronger in the last third of the experience. Burns cool, clean and a little fast with a very consistent, mildly complex flavor. Hardly leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste, and room note. An easy going all day smoke that’s smoother than expected with just enough character to hold your interest. Three and a half stars.

D&R Vengeur Regular:
The flue-cured Virginia is grassy and mildly tart and tangy citrus sweet as the lead component. The burley is nutty, earthy, woody, lightly toasty with an essence of cocoa, but has very little sweetness as a second lead. The Oriental is slightly floral and sour, earthy, herbal, vegetative, woody in a supporting role. Has no casing or topping. The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium, while the taste barely hits the medium mark. The nic-hit is a slot below the strength level. Won’t bite or get harsh, but does sport a few small rough edges. A thin ribbon cut that burns clean, moderately cool and fairly quickly, this needs to be sipped a mite for best effect. Virtually leaves no moisture in the bowl, and hardly needs a relight. Has a very consistent, well balanced, mildly complex flavor as it easily burns to ash. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. The room note is a tad stronger. An all day smoke that wears well in repeat performances. Three and a half stars.

D&R Vengeur Silver:
The grassy, very tart and tangy citrusy, slightly woody gold leaf Virginia forms the base of the blend. The nutty, toasty, earthy, woody, mildly chocolatey burleys are an important condiment. The dry and lightly sour, woody, mildly floral, earthy, vegetative, herbal, smoky Oriental also offers a little spice, and is always noticeable as slightly more than a background player. The strength and nicotine levels are just past the center of mild to medium, and the taste almost reaches medium. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Won’t bite and has no harsh moments, but does sport a rough edge every so often if you puff fast. Gets a tad stronger in the last third of the experience. Burns cool, clean and a little fast with a very consistent, moderately complex, mildly savory flavor. Hardly leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires few relights. The pleasant after taste lightly lingers. The room note is a tad stronger. The description claims it’s lighter than Vengeur Regular, but I don’t find that to be the case here. Three and a half stars rounded up to four.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
[QUOTE="canucklehead, post: 36171070, member: 18609"

I really like D&R blends in a pipe, but then again I like Drum in a pipe too.[/QUOTE]
I was a Drum roller for a long time. It does taste good in a pipe!

I've tried a lot of the D&R blends...
their quality is superb.

3 Sails can be tricky because it is finely shredded, but, it's worth learning how to use it because it is a sweet, quality VA that will blend or smoke alone.
Penhooker is another nice, VA with a coarser cut thus allowing it to be more easily mixed with another tobacco.

Picayune is listed in their perique group and it is one of the strongest yet flavorful tobaccos I've smoked. I use it a a mix add and smoke it alone.

The Rimobche offerings are cut and feel like the TwoTimer which is a nice medium cut that packs w/o easily clogging (unlike the finer cut 3 Sails or Ryback -( which reminds me of Drum, btw.)

I even have some Penhooker green. Mint? not so much...it's menthol..but nice VA tobacco and offers a real switch up for the palate.

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
I also really like all the D&R blends and think the tobacco delivery system distinctions are odd. It’s all tobacco...

Anyone who has seen the Gawith video where they’re drying the tobacco on the seemingly dirty floor and tromping through it in work boots might take pause in making distinctions between ‘high end’ blends and those deemed not worthy.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
I keep Three Sails, Picayune, and Rimboche SJ heavily cellared. It's almost hard not to when they are like $20/pound sometimes a lot less on sale. They all punch way above their weight price wise. D&R blends can have funky cuts and are dry as a bone, but they sure are fun.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
The cut is pretty normal. I think the dryness can be a shocker at first, but in reality it's what I normally dry my tobacco to anyways. More tobacco for the money and pack and go convenience.

Reactions: BROBS

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Ramback Balkan is one of my favorite oriental forward blends, even though I believe it is meant to be a Sobranie cigarette inspired blend, with no Latakia but plenty of Balkan(Yugoslavian?) grown sun-cured red Virginias and Orientals, including Yenidje and Basma. It's great in a pipe. Regular Ramback, however, tasted like filterless Camels, and Ramback Gold something between Camel Lights and Turkish Gold... I didn't care for them in a pipe but they made great ryo.. several notches above Bugler.
The Rimboches I've tried have been fantastic and Athey is really interesting. I've always figured anything with a gold/silver/platinum designation was designed as ryo or dual-use at best, but if you dig natural, uncased, blends of relatively unsweetened burley and flue cured gold VA, then you'll probably dig premium ryo blends in your pipe anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.