What Are Some Disqualified Pipe Brands For You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Anything with stems made from acrylic are not for consideration. Any factory pipe I don't look at. If it is not from an artisan that I know has a comfortable stem I pretty much ignore. Any pipe that does not meet my specific criteria in terms of bowl height, inside bowl depth, inside bowl width, shank dimensions of 4..0-4.5 mm and weight also get no consideration.Pipes that are not smooth inside stem and hank that could cause the slightest bit of turbulence are also off the list, I know exactly what I like in my pipes and I refuse to compromise. Any pipe that does not pass a fluffy cleaner, does not smoke dry as a bone and cool, never needs a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture and basically doesn't smoke itself are all not happening. I am absolutely done with pipes that I have too work at to smoke, they will be perfect or they will be gone, I will no longer settle for an average smoke.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
The horrid looking green St. Patrick's Day pipes Peterson puts out and those odd colored Savinelli Alligator pipes. I cringe when I see those silly looking things. I know some feel that way about Falcons, which I happen to dig.

To each his own, smoke what you like as long as you like what you smoke. We all have our fair share of tastes and preferences in one thing or another that someone else may view as absurd. No sense in getting into a pissing contest about tobaccos and pipes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I almost exclusively have been purchasing artisan pipes for quite some time. Rather than eliminate certain ones, I have ones I have had good success with. I will say that I would not buy another Tinsky, his quality of workmanship is shoddy based upon my experience.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
I don't like dbs, partly because of the double-drilled stems, but also because of the brand. Can't even say why - always put it in line with Planta tobaccos because they come from the same company... I also used to dislike Aldo Morelli, also because of the brand because I didn't like that it's a fantasy name that pretends to be a pipe maker. Until I got one that really looks and smokes nice.

Reactions: anotherbob

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
Ok maybe controversial, but I’m not purchasing any cobs - bought one, and it was fine. Part of the issue for me was that in the UK these retail for around £10-15 and many of the estates I’ve purchased came in well under that. Might also be that the aesthetic of the ‘pipe smoker’ is very different than the Mark Twain (I do not mean this disrespectfully in any way!) image this side of the pond.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I have the same issue with Tinsky's hideous star. New Dunhill pipes. Most high end pipes. Some high-end pipes are stunning and seem worth the craftsmanship.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Anything with stems made from acrylic are not for consideration. Any factory pipe I don't look at. If it is not from an artisan that I know has a comfortable stem I pretty much ignore. Any pipe that does not meet my specific criteria in terms of bowl height, inside bowl depth, inside bowl width, shank dimensions of 4..0-4.5 mm and weight also get no consideration.Pipes that are not smooth inside stem and hank that could cause the slightest bit of turbulence are also off the list, I know exactly what I like in my pipes and I refuse to compromise. Any pipe that does not pass a fluffy cleaner, does not smoke dry as a bone and cool, never needs a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture and basically doesn't smoke itself are all not happening. I am absolutely done with pipes that I have too work at to smoke, they will be perfect or they will be gone, I will no longer settle for an average smoke.

So sayeth the cigrmaster/pipemaster. This is a man who knows exactly what he wants.

I used to think this. But it’s really based on the shape/cut of the stem. Acrylic can be comfortable.

I never had a problem with acrylic. I believe it was Tad Gage who said that the shape of the head of a cigar such that it very comfortably fit the lips and the mouth was all important. Similarly in the pipe world many demand the softness of vulcanite.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
No disqualified brands as far as I am concerned but some definitely rule themselves out on price.

I have one Porsche design pipe - bought simply because I like it's design. It is also my only straight pipe. My other 40 or so pipes are all bents and bar a couple of exceptions all Peterson's.

Personally I quite like the Dracula series Peterson's; it makes it easy to reserve some pipes for Lakelands and not get confused as to which is which :sher:

I agree with the earlier comment about the shade of green used for this years St Patrick's Day Petes; lurid or what? (I still bought one.)

Not tried any massed produced Chinese pipes but as I have quite a few Chinese made watches in my collection I guess it's only a matter of time before I do try one.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I will simply say that in the smoking I found no difference other than that purportedly substantiated by the retailers.

Agreed. I have numerous relatively inexpensive pipes that are fairly well-made and deliver a perfect smoke. I've heard some people criticize the concept of a pipe being a "good smoker" but in my experience I've had both good and bad pipes. Some tend to gurgle, or for whatever reason, just don't deliver as tasty and cool a smoke as other pipes. I have no idea about exactly how or why this happens (other than gurgling in poorly drilled pipes that can't pass a pipe cleaner), but suffice it to say that some pipes are just better than others.

My main point is that I've got several pipes I bought for under $100 that just seem to smoke themselves and consistently deliver a cool dry smoke, so I don't see that there is really any room for improvement, at least from a functional perspective. Now as to fit and finish, I would imagine that the high dollar pipes are better and more refined, and at some point, I would like to add some old British pipes to my collection, but for now, my fairly inexpensive collection serves me very well.

Reactions: seanv and Casual

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There are lots of pipes I'll never own, and for myriad reasons, but even they are not necessarily "disqualified". Right now my collection is going in some specific directions and these pipes don't fit at the moment. Should my collection start taking on different courses then I might wind up with some of the aforementioned pipes.

Reactions: gregjl and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.