This Is The Amazing World That Forum Member Workman Calls Home.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
GREATLY INTELLIGENT AND MODERN PEOPLE ?
I suppose you are being sarcastic there. I don't really mind if you dislike aspects of my culture, but you should be aware that you are most likely very ignorant on said culture.
Most people don't know or understand other cultures than their own.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I suppose you are being sarcastic there. I don't really mind if you dislike aspects of my culture, but you should be aware that you are most likely very ignorant on said culture.
Most people don't know or understand other cultures than their own.
Are you guys that backwards that this is the only source of food? At some point intelligent people move forward. Slaughtering whales and dolphins for “culture” is beyond ignorant.

Mayans sacrificed humans... should my wife continue to do so today?

also if you have to import wives to prevent inbreeding I’d say this area has some very serious problems.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Are you guys that backwards that this is the only source of food? At some point intelligent people move forward. Slaughtering whales and dolphins for “culture” is beyond ignorant.

Mayans sacrificed humans... should my wife continue to do so today?

also if you have to import wives to prevent inbreeding I’d say this area has some very serious problems.
I don't see fault. Pilot whales are a source of food here. Not the only source, but one of several.
They are hunted, killed and eaten, as are many other animals. I don't make any difference between, chicken, pig, cow, moose, seal, whale, fish or whatever. They are a reource.
Here is a fact: There is nothing ritualistic about this. It is not an annual festival or anything like that, and there are no rituals or religious aspects to it.
I find it strange that you compare it to human sacrifice. What's the connection there?
And where on earth did you get the idea about importing women and inbreeding?
Seriously, your views are your own and you are entitled to have them, but on this particular matter, you don't know what you are talking about.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't see fault. Pilot whales are a source of food here. Not the only source, but one of several.
They are hunted, killed and eaten, as are many other animals. I don't make any difference between, chicken, pig, cow, moose, seal, whale, fish or whatever. They are a reource.
Here is a fact: There is nothing ritualistic about this. It is not an annual festival or anything like that, and there are no rituals or religious aspects to it.
I find it strange that you compare it to human sacrifice. What's the connection there?
And where on earth did you get the idea about importing women and inbreeding?
Seriously, your views are your own and you are entitled to have them, but on this particular matter, you don't know what you are talking about.
And neither do you, obviously... perhaps mercury, PCBand DDT can taint your thoughts?

I said they are importing women to prevent inbreeding. Which would cause a natural over time cessation of your islander population as per Darwinism. Culture is very important to Faroe Islanders unless it’s a wife.

And I don’t agree with eating any animal. But certainly this slaughter is unnecessary and pointless in today’s modern age. You are unable to get food shipped to the island yet you can get pipe tobacco? Get real.

also it’s only recommended to be eaten one time a month. So how can that be important to your diet or survival?
It’s about money because you guys sell it in restaurants.

and I apologize to you as a person, as you seem like a decent yet confused human being, for my opinions on these matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: workman

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
And neither do you, obviously... perhaps mercury, PCBand DDT can taint your thoughts?

I said they are importing women to prevent inbreeding. Which would cause a natural over time cessation of your islander population as per Darwinism. Culture is very important to Faroe Islanders unless it’s a wife.

And I don’t agree with eating any animal. But certainly this slaughter is unnecessary and pointless in today’s modern age. You are unable to get food shipped to the island yet you can get pipe tobacco? Get real.

also it’s only recommended to be eaten one time a month. So how can that be important to your diet or survival?
It’s about money because you guys sell it in restaurants.

and I apologize to you as a person, as you seem like a decent yet confused human being, for my opinions on these matters.
I am not offended, and I think it is important to be able to discuss matters of disagreement in a civil manner, and you seem to think the same.
The media is full of disinformation. We all know it, yet we continue to believe whatever fits into our worldview.
This article from the BBC isn't entirely correct.
It is true that some men find spouses from faraway lands on the internet. Often there is money involved, so you could say that these women are being bought. This is not specific for my country. It happens everywhere. And it has nothing to do with genetics and inbreeding, but it has a lot to do with some men being unable to form a romantic relationship with an empowered woman. These men are sometimes referred to as incels, and they exist in all cultures and all countries.
As to the science on the edibility of whale meat, it is scarce and as credible or uncredible as any other science on whether or not something is healthy.
And finally, I haven't said anything about not being able to import food. I can and do buy brazilian beef, mutton from New Zealand, danish pork, french cheeses, South African wine etc. I just don't see how that is better than making use of the local resourses.
And of course, I'm all for eating meat, so we'll have to disagree on that one.
With respect
Janus

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hmm, I suppose inuits should grow carrots instead of hunting as well.
All things change.

Whatever your past culture.. should you continue to do everything from it today? That’s my point.

and @workman again I don’t think you are a bad person or even people from your homeland. Just that things change and modernize all the time and this is one thing that needs to end. It is purposeless in the big scheme of things and causes more suffering and harm than good. Honestly I’m very surprised an appalled that Denmark even allows this in their territories. I do not consider people on the Faroe Islands to be a native population like Inuits or other Aboriginal Peoples.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
All things change.

Whatever your past culture.. should you continue to do everything from it today? That’s my point.

and @workman again I don’t think you are a bad person or even people from your homeland. Just that things change and modernize all the time and this is one thing that needs to end. It is purposeless in the big scheme of things and causes more suffering and harm than good. Honestly I’m very surprised an appalled that Denmark even allows this in their territories. I do not consider people on the Faroe Islands to be a native population like Inuits or other Aboriginal Peoples.
Well that's your opinion. And it is nothing more than that, an opinion.
Whether or not a practice is good or bad, useful or useless, is not something that is decided just by someone having an opinion.
The world is a diverse place. I'd like to keep it that way.

Reactions: Casual and BROBS

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not wanting to take sides here but in the railroad building rush in 1800's America, some trains would stop in the middle of the prairies just so that the travellers could take pot shots at the enormous herds of buffalo.

They didn't kill them to eat them, they never even left the train, they were just slaughtered for the sake of it. That is why their population plummeted from many millions to just several hundred in no time at all.

So long as what is shot or caught if for eating then I have no issues with that.

Methinks a little more understanding is required here.

Regards,

Jay.?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Whether or not a practice is good or bad, useful or useless, is not something that is decided just by someone having an opinion.
Actually it is.

@mawnansmiff if that practice still went on today it would be a better comparison. The US also used to whale. But became modernized and henceforth found it cruel and unnecessary. It’s also not done /illegal in the UK.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Brobs, perhaps your anger should be directed towards Japan, they slaughter thousands of whales for 'scientific purposes'!

If the Faroe Islanders eat their catch, and it is sustainable (which I believe it is up there) then that should be fine given the tiny size of the population.

The huge whaling stations far up north America and Canada were catching whales purely for their blubber. The millions of beavers slaughtered just for their pelts and not food.

Basically what I'm saying is killing to eat should be ok so long as the prey is not endangered.

Regards,

Jay.?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Actually it is.

@mawnansmiff if that practice still went on today it would be a better comparison. The US also used to whale. But became modernized and henceforth found it cruel and unnecessary. It’s also not done /illegal in the UK.
I'd like to make another remark, if for nothing else, then because I like the sound of my fingers, tapping the phone.
You claim the argument of being modern. In our modern times of great illumination, such ancient practices should cease, or something like that.
I would claim the opposite. By now, we should be enlightened enough to realize that our western capitalist, christian, white culture, with all its merits, is also a great destructive force. European and American imperialistic politics and cultural practices have destroyed countless nations, cultures, religions and of course nature itself in vast areas of the world.
In our day and age we ought to have learned to be more humble in our approach to different cultures and ways of living.

Reactions: robcapp
Status
Not open for further replies.