PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I have some unsmoked collectible Peterson pipes. I haven’t smoked them because I have so many others to smoke. But then I wonder why I have them.

should I just smoke them?!
What’s your opinion?

boxed original issue Sherlock Holmes.

original issue Rustic with Saddle bit and natural Watson
150th Anniversary Founders Edition boxed.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I have quite a few collectible pipes that are unsmoked, and I prefer to keep them that way. I feel that these pipes come to me for just that reason, and I’m happy to oblige. Now, if someone can start a thread with the title: ‘Show us your pipes that you will never smoke’ (in caps, of course) that would be fun!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I don’t buy pipes as an investment or to resell them. I buy pipes that I wish to own for a variety of reasons. I have bought more than I have had the time to smoke but one of the reasons I purchased each one was I planned to smoke it. Even if I eventually sell some pipes to finance the purchase of other pipes or tobacco, I won’t regret the smaller return on a pipe that I enjoyed smoking. That said, there isn’t a wrong answer. Just what works for the owner of the pipe.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I'm not sure I'd smoke the top Sherlock or the rusticated pipe right now but the Watson and 150th are begging to burn leaf. That's just me though, you may see them different.

Until a couple months ago I had only bought pipes for smoking, nothing special or very expensive. Then I recieved a couple off my wishlist for Christmas and bought myself a few more that really caught my eye. A couple of these are perfectly satisfying in there unsmoked state for the time being. Thankfully up till this point I have not been intrigued by "collectable" pipes so depreciation has never been a consideration in whether a pipe gets smoked or not.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm primarily a smoker of pipes, not a collector. But I do have a few unsmoked vintage pipes that I'm not going to smoke. I like that my 114 year old Barling companion set is exactly as it was when it was made. The set is like a window into another time. I have no need to smoke it, as I have plenty of other ancient pipes that I do smoke. That holds true for the other few unsmoked collectible pipes in the pile.

From a practical standpoint firing up a century old virgin can be a risky business. It can crack on the first bowl full. Even if that doesn't happen, that first match can be REALLY expensive, like half the value of the pipe. It's no longer an unsmoked collectible pipe, it's just another used pipe.

But if you have no interest in the collectibility aspect, then why not fire up the pig if you want to.

It's just another personal choice.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I have a patent era unsmoked 1 dot Brigham rusticated billiard in its original sleeve and box with the filters and pipe cleaners. I am going to keep that unsmoked as well because it was made just down the street from where I live and it seems like a bit of a time warp. Though the pipe is worth $100 max to the right collector. And I’m not even a collector it’s just a quirk I suppose.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i would save them. i mean, you have ton of other pipes, and they are something different. all my pipes are recent purchase and nothing special to anyone but me so i smoke all of them. but if i have something special, i would save them.

Status
Not open for further replies.