anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'd take a look at Esterval's for any Vauen product if you're willing to wait a while to get it. The last Vauen I bought there was $100 cheaper than it was from US retailers. That may not be the case with the pipe you are looking at, but it's worth a look.

Shipping will set you back more, but you may save enough to make it worth it, especially if you throw down on a large tobacco order as well (HU anyone?)

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You can also find unsmoked ones on ebay from time to time.
I used to mainly smoke Vauens with 9mm filters.. they are the absolute best 9mm filterpipes you can buy.

the charcoal filter actually fits into a taper so all the smoke goes through it rather than around it. called the "conex" system.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I'd take a look at Esterval's for any Vauen product if you're willing to wait a while to get it. The last Vauen I bought there was $100 cheaper than it was from US retailers. That may not be the case with the pipe you are looking at, but it's worth a look.

Shipping will set you back more, but you may save enough to make it worth it, especially if you throw down on a large tobacco order as well (HU anyone?)

Yep. Just looked. SP had one model for $119 and Estervals had the same one for $78.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You need the genuine Vauen adapter in order to smoke it filterless:

There are other 9mm adapters, but the genuine Vauen has a rubber ring which secures it in the mouthpiece and also prevents the smoke from going around it: the smoke will pass only through the adapter's hole.

You can, of course, smoke it filterless and adapterless—an impromptu, jury-rigged reverse calabash, if you wish—but the one time I did that I burnt the hell out of my tongue. Of course, your mileage might be smoother.

Mar 1, 2014
In general I'd put Vauen about on-par with Savinelli, to pay American prices you'd have to really like the design and not be too picky about the price.
A few years ago you could get some of their highest quality pipes for not a lot of money from James Barber in the U.K., but even there prices have climbed a bit since then (disproportionate to GBP fluctuations, still, James Barber is a good place to look as an alternative source).

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I didn’t find any difference than my other pipes without the filter. Not sure why you would have to buy an adapter. Sounds like a way to get you to spend more money.

As someone said above, Vauens are on par with Savinelli. They are smooth smokers.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I just bought a Vauen Lime (with the meerschaum-lined bowl) on a black Friday sale. It also has the cartridge filter system, which works well but I bought the adapter which I use most of the time. Sad to say, it was not drilled right and will not pass a pipe cleaner.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s not supposed to pass a pipe cleaner so it’s drilled correctly. It has a sump area just like a Peterson Sytem.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Where did you hear that?

Not being confrontational, but it just looks like a regular mortice to me. I don't see a well. Draft hole is right at the top of the circle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.