PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The smoky, woody, lightly floral, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia is the primary component. The tangy dark fruity, earthy, woody, sugary red Virginias take a small lead over the nutty, earthy, woody, lightly cocoa-ish, sugary stoved burley. Here and there, the burley is a touch more obvious, and almost competes with the Virginias for attention. The vanilla topping seems to have a slight alcohol base, though I didn’t find it distracting, and it’s only in the smell of an open tin, and not in what you taste. It mildly tones down the varietals, and mostly eliminates potential rough edges. The strength almost reaches the center of mild to medium, while the taste threshold is a step or two past that center. The nic-hit is a rung lower than strength level. There’s no chance of bite or harshness even when pushed. The tobacco is lightly moist, and needs no dry time. Burns cool, clean, and slightly slow with a mostly consistent, sweet and lightly savory flavor from top to bottom. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires just above an average number of relights. Has a pleasantly lightly lingering after taste and room note. An easy going all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The predominance of Latakia and the flavoring make this a "definite maybe" for me, but for folks who reach for aromatics first, this might be just the thing for the holidays or any time. Thank you jiminks for the precise concise review. Folks, that's how it's done!

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Thank you for this. I thought I read somewhere that this was inspired by Frog Morton. Don't know if that is true or not, or even if it is a fair comparison.

With that said, out of curiosity do you see this as anything similar to Frog Morton?

Reactions: JimInks and lawdawg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thank you for this. I thought I read somewhere that this was inspired by Frog Morton. Don't know if that is true or not, or even if it is a fair comparison.

With that said, out of curiosity do you see this as anything similar to Frog Morton?

I'm curious as well. After all, in the Lord of the Rings universe, the Eastfarthing is the part of the Shire where the village of Frogmorton is located puf

I've been smoking Country Squire Shepherd's Pie lately, which is close enough to Frog Morton Cellar. I'm not sure how it compares to the original Frog Morton, as I never smoked the original. Anyhow, I'd recommend Shepherd's Pie to any fan of the late Froggies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

Just a little. You'd never mistake one for the other. The composition of tobaccos are different, and the topping is sourced elsewhere. That's why I didn't bother with a comparison in my review. On its own, I think it's a pretty good all day smoke, and if it fits your flavor profile, you'll probably like it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ok. Very helpful. I will give this a go at some stage. Thanks for the review. :)

As popular as Frog Morton appeared to be to some, I wonder if it will ever come back to life again.

The best anybody's going to do is an imitation that just won't duplicate the experience you're used to. All you can do is to find something you like in the same genre.

Reactions: dcon

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
This is from the Sutliff website: Frogmorton was a village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire – so this blend pays homage to J. R. Tolkien. This delightfully smooth and full-bodied English blend has just enough well-aged, Stoved Latakia to satisfy the most experienced English smoker’s taste, but balanced enough with just a hint of whiskey to create this very interesting English blend.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Just a little. You'd never mistake one for the other. The composition of tobaccos are different, and the topping is sourced elsewhere. That's why I didn't bother with a comparison in my review. On its own, I think it's a pretty good all day smoke, and if it fits your flavor profile, you'll probably like it.

I hate to disagree with the most-respected pipe tobacco reviewer on the internet, but I just had my first bowl of Eastfarthing yesterday and found it to be quite similar to Frog Morton Cellar. Granted, nobody is ever going to exactly reproduce any the Frog Morton series, but Sutliff came about as close as can be hoped for with Eastfarthing. What I recall the most from FMC is creamy liquor whiskey topping that reminds me of Bailey's Irish cream, plus the woodsy smokiness of the latakia. I got that same basic flavor profile from Eastfarthing. Of course this is my thought based only on one bowl, but as I smoke the rest of the tin I plan to dig some FMC out of my cellar and do a little more comparing of the two.

Reactions: bluegrasspipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The couple who created Frog Morton did it as a labor of love, and everything was sourced and processed to their exacting standards and with a lot of artistry. At mid-life, and having retired from pipe tobacco, they are unlikely to return, and I don't think anyone else can do what they did except as a clumsy forgery. It's sort of like a Rembrandt. Either it is or it isn't. But if it is a strong reminder for some, that's lucky for those folks. lawdawg, I don't have any more FM Cellar, but I do have some McC blends I look forward to opening.

Last edited:
I've been smoking Country Squire Shepherd's Pie lately, which is close enough to Frog Morton Cellar. I'm not sure how it compares to the original Frog Morton, as I never smoked the original. Anyhow, I'd recommend Shepherd's Pie to any fan of the late Froggies.

I have been trying to buy some of this for a while. I hope they have a new batch brewing and it will be done soon...

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have been trying to buy some of this for a while. I hope they have a new batch brewing and it will be done soon...

I already smoked most of my first 4 oz. purchase and am keeping my eye on their website as well. I like Shepherd's Pie enough that I plan to buy a few pounds next time around.

I should clarify that I wouldn't want to overstate the similarity of Shepherd's Pie to FMC. I don't think the Shepherd's Pie is really even topped with an aromatic flavoring, at least not like FMC is. It's more that both blends are sweet and smoky with a certain creaminess, and I think anyone who likes one blend will probably like the other, and they somewhat scratch the same itch for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.