Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
So I bought a new Peterson Rusticated (305) P-Lip System Standard from smokingpipes.com after getting some advise from BROBS in the new member introduction thread.

I LOVE this pipe!
It worked just like he said it would.

My first smoke was a flake of Peterson Irish flake straight from the tin folded and stuffed (with a little twist) unceremoniously into the bowl while standing on the back porch after dinner.

I was amazed that I could "mindlessly" puff at any pace I wanted without a care in the world.No thinking about how I packed the pipe or "am I puffing to often" or anything like that. Basically just "stuff and puff". I did manage to warm the bowl up a bit, but it took the whole flake to do it and was near the bottom after actually trying to get it warm.

This was the experience I've been looking for in a pipe. Not a hint of bite, no issues with pipe juice or gurgling.Just a nice relaxing after dinner pipe without a lot fiddling about with running pipe cleaners down the stem to clear the gurggles or waiting for it to go out and cool down so I could relight it.

The P-Lip will take sometime getting used to.It's got an odd mouth feel because of it's shape and it vents upwards. It clenches easy though.

Thank You BROBS, I'm officially a Peterson System fan :)
Several more will find their way into my collection.

The new Pete came with a free 2oz. tin of Cornell & Diehl "Wintertime Reserve". There were several flavors to choose from , I picked the "Nutcracker". It's a moist smaller flake (slightly shorter in length than the Irish flake) comprised of Burley, Perique, and Virginia. I haven't tried it yet, but the aroma from the tin has a very pleasing "old time tobacco store" note.I'm saving this for a different time.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Welcome to the Jungle my friend. Nice selection ?
Glad I could be of some help. I still like some other pipes but I’ve solved or traded off most of my collection in favor of more Pete’s.

you should check out Peterson Pipe Notes he’s the true guru on them and I can only credit his blog and his book for most of what I know!

for the p lip I’ve found to use it just like a normal button and your tongue is technically supposed to sit in that rounded part but everyone clenches or uses them differently!

oh also the older plip stems have an even better shape... if you ever try one you’ll see what I mean. They have a lot flatter bite to them.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
How's the dip staining? nana

Sorry, couldn't resist. ?

Still, it's not an entirely facetious question: I've been, on and off, interested in Peterson's system. It's the only kind of Peterson I'd buy. I wonder if it'd be the same kind of pleasant, effortless, and overall, biteless experience with the fishtail lip; the P-lip doesn't appeal to me, and I'm not a clencher anyway. Could you order an extra mouthpiece with a different lip?

Reactions: diamondback

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I am new to system pipes and I will add I really enjoy mine. The p lip is interesting and I don’t really notice it to be an issue. I’m not a clencher either.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s not a true system without the plip and that’s what helps mitigate a lot of the bite. The fishtail will still drop the moisture into the reservoir but hot smoke can still be directed at your tongue.
you can get another stem but you have to send the stummel to Ireland and I think it’s 30 Euro plus return shipping? You’d be better off buying a whole different pipe for the money!

for the money the premier grade have pretty nice briar. But if you’re getting one of those might as well get a deluxe ;)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It’s not a true system without the plip and that’s what helps mitigate a lot of the bite. The fishtail will still drop the moisture into the reservoir but hot smoke can still be directed at your tongue.
you can get another stem but you have to send the stummel to Ireland and I think it’s 30 Euro plus return shipping? You’d be better off buying a whole different pipe for the money!

for the money the premier grade have pretty nice briar. But if you’re getting one of those might as well get a deluxe ;)
Hmm, well this is how I smoke my pipe (where it sits in my mouth):

Now you can see why I don't clench. I draw from the pipe by pursing my lips, as from a drinking straw. If I stick the pipe beyond my teeth line I end up inhaling, which I don't want/like. Since I'm holding the pipe with my hand, I can direct it to any part of my oral cavity I want: normally, I aim it between the tongue and the palate. Think that the fishtail would still be an issue?

I'm not keen on the P-lip heating up my palate whilst saving my tongue.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Awesome. I don't really have a problem with bite, but I'd still like to add a Peterson System pipe to my collection, just because it's something different. Do you feel the P-Lip restricts the draw significantly? That's one of my only concerns.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
If I ever buy a Peterson it will either be a Hansom or a 309 System. I love the look of the Hansom, but am a bit intimidated by its chamber size (huge). The 309 System looks like a good flake pipe. I would get it with the P-Lip to get the full Peterson experience.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hmm, well this is how I smoke my pipe (where it sits in my mouth):

View attachment 9328
Now you can see why I don't clench. I draw from the pipe by pursing my lips, as from a drinking straw. If I stick the pipe beyond my teeth line I end up inhaling, which I don't want/like. Since I'm holding the pipe with my hand, I can direct it to any part of my oral cavity I want: normally, I aim it between the tongue and the palate. Think that the fishtail would still be an issue?

I'm not keen on the P-lip heating up my palate whilst saving my tongue.
If you don’t put it behind your teeth then no I don’t think it would matter.

If I ever buy a Peterson it will either be a Hansom or a 309 System. I love the look of the Hansom, but am a bit intimidated by its chamber size (huge). The 309 System looks like a good flake pipe. I would get it with the P-Lip to get the full Peterson experience.
They don’t make the 309 anymore !

Awesome. I don't really have a problem with bite, but I'd still like to add a Peterson System pipe to my collection, just because it's something different. Do you feel the P-Lip restricts the draw significantly? That's one of my only concerns.
I don’t feel that it does. It’s just not wide open like some draws.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I wonder if it'd be the same kind of pleasant, effortless, and overall, biteless experience with the fishtail lip; the P-lip doesn't appeal to me, and I'm not a clencher anyway. Could you order an extra mouthpiece with a different lip?
It is not a "system" pipe without the p-lip. P-lip is part of the system. That aside, you likely can find a replacement stem farily easily as the system pipes are military mount.
For me, I don't personally notice any real difference between a standard bit and p-lip when I smoke.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Here we go,,,let's see if this works.Took this last night,just forgot to attach it to my post.
Nice looking pipe. Enjoy!
I picked up a "System Spigot" 303 a while back. It took a bit to break in, but is now smoking great, and I love the look of the spigot pipes.

Reactions: DavidT

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
To be fair a spigot isn’t a true system either as it doesn’t have any tenon extension puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.