PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Ok, this is a bit long winded, I admit...?

But I was thinking about my own process of choosing a pipe from the rack, and a tobacco from the collection.

There are 5 senses (or 9 senses, depending on classification):
sight
sound
taste
smell
touch
and adding the other 4:
thermoception (heat and cold)
nociception (pain)
equilibrioception (balance and gravity)
Proprioception (body awareness)

I‘ll stick with the first major 5...as I don’t think the last 4 really involve pipe smoking (except the heat thing...maybe...)

Do you consistently pick a pipe first, or a tobacco first?

Is the sight & touch of the pipe more important at the time, or the smell & taste of the tobacco the most important at the time? Not even sure the sound component is in play...

Yes, I realize smoking a pipe is smoking tobacco, and is inherently a smell & taste process. But I personally have chosen a pipe first because of the beauty and feel first, and filled with some tobacco that “fits” the pipe second. I’ve also done the opposite - pick a flavor & aroma first, and the vessel (pipe) second. Strangely, I mostly pick the pipe first!

Any thoughts?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Before I started smoking only one pipe at a time, I always knew what tobacco I was in the mood for ( I only smoke a handful of blends) and then picked the pipe after that. But out out my 25 pipes, I again only ever smoke 3 or so. Simple.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I don't think it's strange, pipes are very individual, and wanting to smoke a certain one is just part and parcel of having that choice, no? Big ones, rough ones, small ones, straight or bent.... or if you want that certain pipe that makes McClelland 27 oh so sweet, then you wind up smoking the 27 in it.....

Reactions: Ctbill

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
I keep it very simple. You enjoy something a bit more complicated. It's whatever works for your particular personality type.
Warren - do you keep it simple on the tobacco side, or the pipe side? Just curious...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like to rest briars for at least a day, and I don't have much wiggle-room in my rotation, so I operate on the Kris Kristofferson Principle: I put on my cleanest dirty shirt.
I've been taking the same pipe to work for the past two months.

Reactions: instymp

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've been taking the same pipe to work for the past two months.
I imagine I'll be the same when I get better at smoking a pipe. They're still usually kind of moist in the heel when I finish a bowl, and I just don't enjoy smoking them that way. Meanwhile, practice makes perfect, totally fine with me.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
No rhyme. No reason. Although I do have blend type specific pipes, so as embers stated, if you pick pipe first, and its one of those, that kinda pigeon holes you a bit.

But in general, I dont pick one or the other before one or the other.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I choose the pipe based on capacity, given my appetite for tobacco at the moment. In the morning I reach for a large pipe that has seen the least use recently. Before bed I usually grab a small pipe and stout tobacco.

Ctbill, Regarding the senses that you mentioned, try smoking a pipe in total darkness. ;)

Reactions: instymp and Ctbill
Status
Not open for further replies.