PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
o.k. what single tobacco would you recommend to every pipe smoker not because of how tasty or wonderful it is but purely just because it's interesting and you'd like to see the reactions. Could be the grossest or best tobacco, but it's got to be interesting. Something you know can't be found anywhere else at least as far as you know. Like maybe for instance an aromatic that is interesting because it's got a strange choice of flavor but it makes you think about what can be done to tobacco.
Well I will start I think all pipe smokers should try Semois because not only because I find it to be a perfect occasional treat, but mainly because it's the only thing like it and it shows how complex a single type of tobacco can be. It also gives me a very old world feeling. I think it's the Dorian fruit of tobaccos in that it's a love or hate taste but it's complex and perplexing too. How can it taste floral and light while also tasting like mineral heavy dirt? How can that taste great?? So what tobacco blend or type do you feel that all pipe smokers should try for a reason beyond greatness.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Interesting thought on the semois, sounds interesting. I don't know if I have tasted a blend other than Lakelands to say it's interesting try it. Maybe someday I get around to trying semois.

Reactions: anotherbob

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
You don’t specify if the tobacco has to be current production. If we are free to name any, as a Virginia smoker, I would offer McCranies 1983 Red Ribbon. Although I do like it very much, it is not my favorite of all time, however I have never smoked a more pure, straight forward and unpretentious Virginia ribbon. It remains a unique experience among tobaccos.
Tins do show up from time to time, at exorbitant prices, so it can still be had if cost is not a barrier.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
C&D's recent small batch release of Sun Bear. It is not something I could smoke more than two or three times a year; but it possesses the most exotic floral scent that I've ever experienced -- and I'm not altogether convinced that tobacco should even have such an aroma. It must be the elderberry mixing in with the Oriental leaf. I dunno.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.