Is mold an issue when cellaring? How to spot it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
60 Fresh Vauen Pipes
8 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes
New Cigars
9 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
If one was to simply place tobacco into Mason jar, how long before mold becomes a threat? How long can tobacco last in a jar?
How to avoid it, How to spot it, treat it,..etc

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If one was to simply place tobacco into Mason jar, how long before mold becomes a threat?

At any time.

How long can tobacco last in a jar?

I've had tobacco in jars for a few decades.

How to avoid it, How to spot it, treat it,..etc

Mold usually appears as white fuzz. Use clean jars, handle tobacco with clean hands, and if mold develops, throw it out. Even in the best circumstances mold can happen.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
At any time.

I've had tobacco in jars for a few decades.

Mold usually appears as white fuzz. Use clean jars, handle tobacco with clean hands, and if mold develops, throw it out. Even in the best circumstances mold can happen.

Decades? I'm surprised. Can you name one blend that you have in that condition? It must be sublime.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Decades? I'm surprised. Can you name one blend that you have in that condition? It must be sublime.

Christmas Cheer '92, '94, and '96. Mac Baren Plumcake and Symphony. C&D Black Frigate. I don't find aging to be much of a boon to flavor. It mellows some but there's no drastic change. I started cellaring for a time when I could no longer afford tobacco.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
Is it safe to assume you have been smoking for decades? Reason I ask is because i've only been at it not that long

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
The only way it would mold, is if there was way too much moisture in the tin it came in, I would think... the manufacturers should have the moisture levels low enough to prevent mold from forming. Just my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The only way it would mold, is if there was way too much moisture in the tin it came in, I would think... the manufacturers should have the moisture levels low enough to prevent mold from forming. Just my opinion.

Some have arrived new with mold in the tin. FVF and 2016 products containing Carolina Red Virginias come to mind.

Reactions: sablebrush52

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Generally, if the tobacco you are going to commit to jars looks and feels too moist, spread it out and let it dry a bit. The drier the tobacco, the less risk for mold.

And as Embers said, tobacco stored in jars will last many moons.
Some of my stash is from the 80's.

Reactions: seanv

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Jarring won't save tobacco from potentially getting moldy and it might even increase the chances if you not done properly. However it can save tobacco from drying out, whereas a tin's seal can fail or can get rusty inside. The argument for jars is you can see what condition your stash is in and a jar's seal may be stronger than that of some tins. The argument for sealed tins is that the tobacco is handled less (and therefore less likely to be exposed to spores), plus you can potentially return a bad tin to the manufacturer. In any event, mold is a crap shoot that we all face.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
Generally, if the tobacco you are going to commit to jars looks and feels too moist, spread it out and let it dry a bit. The drier the tobacco, the less risk for mold.

And as Embers said, tobacco stored in jars will last many moons.
Some of my stash is from the 80's.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
What you say makes practical sense. Out of what I got, H&H Anni cake is the wettest. I need to inspect it. I just received it. But I could see white crystals. I can't tell if its sugar or mold. The blend is the sugariest of them all.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Some have arrived new with mold in the tin. FVF and 2016 products containing Carolina Red Virginias come to mind.
OK I just did a little test, I put a small hydrometer in a jar of FVF, golden sliced, and luxury twist flake last night. The FVF and LTF all are reading over 75%. I'm not an expert, but I think that is wet enough to invite mold. The Orlik was reading 66% which is fine, in my eperience with other herbs in jars. I stand corrected. Some leaf comes way to moist for long term storage. Gonna lay them out to dry a bit and aim for 65% for long term storage

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Can't speak for FVF as I never cared enough for it to cellar, but I've some LTF from 2014 that was immediately jarred with no sign of mold. Drying LTF too much may loose some of the coconut.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
This is good info. Btw, the Anni cake, well, it looked like drenched mulch I put in my garden when it came in. I spread it out and put a fan next to it. It dried after 1 hour. 4 oz wet mulch turned into 2oz shredded paper, but with twice the puffiness volume (unscientific description), just to show how much water/casing there was. But it still retained the flavor when smoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.