PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
I really wanted to like them.

I love the sound, nostalgia and the raw utility aspect of a Zippo but I just couldn't get past that taste.

I keep a nice refillable butane Kiribi on my desk in my office and I carry a disposable lighter everywhere else.

I'm afraid of carrying an expensive lighter around in my pocket and losing it.

Reactions: JPremo and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I really wanted to like them.

I love the sound, nostalgia and the raw utility aspect of a Zippo but I just couldn't get past that taste.

I keep a nice refillable butane Kiribi on my desk in my office and I carry a disposable lighter everywhere else.

I'm afraid of carrying an expensive lighter around in my pocket and losing it.

Pretty much the same for me, but I have now packed a Zippo in my golf bag for when it really blows. The momentary odor is a small price to pay for getting a pipe going.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Zippo is my main source to father that flame ;)

Disposable Bic lighters are my 2nd source. All those “click” butane lighters have caused me nothing but trouble, yeah, Xikar offers a lifetime warranty but going to the shop every few months that they break down ends up getting old.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Never used the fluid body, but have a butane torch insert that's great for breezy days - the Old Boy lighters don't fare so well in a breeze. I unexpectedly really liked Zippo

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I have a pipe zippo, I use it when I don't have matches or I'm outside. It does give a fluid taste very briefly.
Bics are way more controllable but the wind affects them more, matches are my go to if there's no wind.

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
I use a Zippo for cigars and my old boy for my pipes. I will sometimes use a Zippo with pipes too. I don't get that fluid taste. If you over fill it you'll get that fluid taste. I also let mine burn a few seconds before lighting and haven't had any problems.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I use the Zippo w/the pipe insert w/the wick turned back to minimize the flame. Not sure if that has an barring on the lighter fluid scent being less pronounced. Either way, I don’t mind the smell. I also like using matches... both kind of add to the overall experience, which I like.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Pros:
- reliable ignition
- works in wind
- looks cool
Cons:
- nasty smell
- one refill lasts up to a week
- gas evaporates if not in use