PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Hello fellow pipe smokers. I searched, but there were far too many hits to read through.

So here’s the question: are Zippo pipe lighters a good way to go or do they impart a lighter fluid flavor to the tobacco? I’ve been a Zippo guy for decades on the Rollie side of my tobacco enthusiasm, never used them for cigars due to concerns about imparting fluid flavor, but what’s the consensus for pipes? Figured I should check in with the brain trust.

thanks in advance.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I hate using a Zippo lighter as the flame is much to unwieldy. It is difficult to control and tough to get to the bottom of the bowl. I prefer the flame of my IM Corona Pipemasters as they also have a nice tamper and a nice sized fuel tank.

I have a Zippo with the pipe insert and use it once a year maybe.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
If you let it burn just a second or two before drawing, it doesn't impart any flavor. If you don't, the gasoline flavor only lasts a puff or two anyway. No big deal.
I use them exclusively, with or without the pipe insert, they're great.

+1. You can usually smell when the naphtha odors have burned off which means the flame is "clean" to use.

I have one of the Zippo Pipe Lighters and it can't be beat outdoors or in a breezeway, but a butane one like my Ronson Pipe Lighter is more "accurate".

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Zippos are great.
They impart a slight flavor for a nanosecond.
You need to refill ‘em.
You’ll change the flint occasionally.
They ARE windproof.
They last forever, and are guaranteed as such.
The butane insert is nice, but you give up all Zippo goodness - just use a Bic.
I do not work for Zippo...?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I hate using a Zippo lighter as the flame is much to unwieldy. It is difficult to control and tough to get to the bottom of the bowl. I prefer the flame of my IM Corona Pipemasters as they also have a nice tamper and a nice sized fuel tank.

I have a Zippo with the pipe insert and use it once a year maybe.
I had to trim my wick to adjust the flame height. More manageable now.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Zippos are great.
They impart a slight flavor for a nanosecond.
You need to refill ‘em.
You’ll change the flint occasionally.
They ARE windproof.
They last forever, and are guaranteed as such.
The butane insert is nice, but you give up all Zippo goodness - just use a Bic.
I do not work for Zippo...?
One of mine broke, actually. The lid fell off. It was a nice excuse for buying another ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
+1. You can usually smell when the naphtha odors have burned off which means the flame is "clean" to use.

I have one of the Zippo Pipe Lighters and it can't be beat outdoors or in a breezeway, but a butane one like my Ronson Pipe Lighter is more "accurate".
I'm smoking outdoors a lot and I'm not one to complicate life unnecessarily. My Zippos work fine, indoors and out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's an odor just when the lid is opened. But it dissipates. I use them when there's a wind over a few knots. Otherwise, refillable butanes.
They are the quintessential American lighter; Nostalgic, too.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello fellow pipe smokers. I searched, but there were far too many hits to read through.

So here’s the question: are Zippo pipe lighters a good way to go or do they impart a lighter fluid flavor to the tobacco? I’ve been a Zippo guy for decades on the Rollie side of my tobacco enthusiasm, never used them for cigars due to concerns about imparting fluid flavor, but what’s the consensus for pipes? Figured I should check in with the brain trust.

thanks in advance.
no fluid taste unless you really over fill the thing. And it works incredibly well with pipes. Never trust a bic in my opinion.

Reactions: HitchensDog

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I used to always smoke inside. Pipesmoking, IMHO, is best inside (on an easy chair, in front of a fire - yeah, I know, stereotypical. But that was my world) Then moved to a log home and really didn’t want to ghost the entire place. So have a smoking porch that’s kind of a tweener between inside and outside. But the breeze is messing with my preferred lighting method: kitchen matches. Looking for an alternative.