PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I'm struggling to find an answer to this, but I'm trying to find out what kind of metal these knock-off Zippos are made from. I know genuine Zippos are made from brass as I've seen videos of people stripping the chrome off to give them a brass version.
I've tried doing the same with knock-offs but it's harder to get through the chrome than you might think - even on the cheapos. I can get down to a colour similar to brass, but it looks different somehow. Kind of more pinky. I'm guessing they're made from copper but would like confirmation if anyone happens to know.

At one time, we would have identified brass as being merely copper and zinc, which is completely a different recipe than bronze. But nowadays, it is much more complex than that. I can formulate silver brass, white brass, pink brass, black brass, red brass... etc... And, bronze can be just as complex. There are literally thousands of different commercial recipes that some offer more tensile strength, stretch-ability, color, heat-reduction, heat resistant, etc, etc... It all just depends on what characteristics you want the material to have.
Brass is not just one metal. Does that help

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It is interesting to me!
I doubt that knockoffs use copper to any real extent; too soft. Could be some sort of pot metal. (?)
And I am not sure that modern Zippos are brass underneath the surface. Kinda like to know if anyone can tell us.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Brass is not just one metal. Does that help
It probably would help, yes, if I knew more about metals. But still, I think I know where you're going.
I doubt that knockoffs use copper to any real extent; too soft. Could be some sort of pot metal. (?)
Maybe, but as above my knowledge of metals is practically non-existent.
Here's the best pic I can get of the one I'm working on.
tumblr_pm7joeuCPG1w9drs0o1_500.jpg

Pot metal is a type of brass. Well, not really, pot metal is just a derogatory term for cheap metal. But, like I said brass recipes span the gambit. Brass is cheap cheap. But, what most laymen would call pot metal, base metal, monkey metal... is merely a brass with more zinc.
Or, would like to ask another metallurgist, John? We may have a few others on here. :puffy:

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Whatever server that is sucks.
I just post my images to a tumblr page. It's a form of social media, I suppose... so yeah, it sucks by default.
I don't see an option for adding attachments here. I'll look again.
dcvp1z.jpg

Does that show for you?

Weird, I see the image now. But, my answer stands, it has to be a brass. I mean there is nothing else it could be.

But, I can't help but wonder why the Hell would you want to strip it down to the brass? Brass will not hold a shine for very long at all, and it is way softer than the plating. It was actually formulated for whatever plating was used, and to remove the plating is to send it on a much quicker death spiral to destruction. It is more vulnerable to oxidation and it has lost half its strength now.
Did you say that you heard about this on Youtube? Ha ha, I'd like to hear the explanation. :puffy:

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
But, I can't help but wonder why the Hell would you want to strip it down to the brass?
Well, you can buy Zippos in brass and they're clearly a popular choice of 'finish', and while I accept that stripping down a cheap knockoff to its bare metal (whatever that may be) isn't going to give you the quality of a brass Zippo (even if these Zippos are brass-plated) I wanted to see what kind of result I would get. If it falls apart/rusts or deteriorates in whatever other way it decides, It's cost me about £1.00 / $1.31
Did you say that you heard about this on Youtube? Ha ha, I'd like to hear the explanation.
No explanation (can't find the video of the guy showing the process of stripping off the chrome) but this is the result when you use a genuine Zippo. As you can see the colour is very different to mine. Mine has more pink/orange/red in it.
https://youtu.be/WM2DIQRslEI

Brass isn't going to hold a polish. On those brass casted decorative figurines you used to see in department stores have a plate on them to keep them polished looking. You can temporarily put a polish on it, but soon it will be back to looking as pretty as a shell casing.
But, after I watched the video, ha ha, I am still not sure what you were attempting. I guess if you wanted the yellow looking lighter, the red color would be disconcerting. :puffy: But... I hope this all helps. I don't think I solved any problems, except in categorizing pot metal and brass. I don't think I will be removing the plating from my lighters. I kind of like mine. :puffy:

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
But, after I watched the video, ha ha, I am still not sure what you were attempting.
I'm not sure how I can make it any clearer, or why you're having such a hard time understanding.
• You can buy brass Zippos.

• They're a popular model.

• Sometimes people strip the chrome off an existing Zippo, so that they end up with a brass Zippo without having to buy one.

• I wanted to try it with a knockoff Zippo, to see if I could get myself a knockoff brass Zippo.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Or you could pull the insert & look into the bottom, there's probably just metal with no plating down there, & you'll be able to see if it matches the outside if you think all plating has been removed & you just have a weird alloy.
Okay, I did this. Inside the lid the colour is the same as the (now) stripped outer. So does this mean it's copper strike or a weird alloy?

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
If yours looks the same down there as the outside, then you're probably down to base metal on the outside too.
Yes, same colour in the base of the insert. So the base metal is?

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
judcasper.. my brass Zippos are the color of your knockoff. Hard part will be to polish/remove all marks?

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
udcasper.. my brass Zippos are the color of your knockoff. Hard part will be to polish/remove all marks?
That must just be how it came out in the photo then. To the naked eye they're quite different.
I think if I come down to a real fine sandpaper once I've got the chrome off fully, I think I'll be able to hide the sanding marks better.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
You can get a new brushed brass Zippo on ebay for under $14 right now, or a polished one for a few bucks more, with or without "solid brass" engraved on the front, why don't you do that instead?
Because that would cost me $14 :) Serously, though, twas just an experiment. I like modding Zippo-style lighters. Oh, and I'm in the UK so it would cost me nearer $26
It looks like the Phantom Panty Twister is out on the prowl again tonight.
I very much beg your pardon?

Status
Not open for further replies.