PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
11 minutes ago
Just received my great uncle's Zippo lighter, 70 years after his death. So I am more than mildly interested in finding its probably date of manufacture. Could be pre-1900 based on his life.
It's very similar, but not identical to a brand new Zippo, pictured.
The main difference is in the hinge, as well as the spot welds holding it. The corners are more rounded, and the new one is maybe 1mm taller.

I may see if I can get it to work. Got it. There was an obstruction preventing the flint to be in contact with the striking wheel. Think it was hardened flint dust.
ZipposFront.JPG
ZipposHinges-weld.JPG
Of course if anyone has more insights, I'd love to hear them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In this time of disposable everything, the idea that a useful object can last 70 years, especially something somewhat mechanical, is inspiring. I remember the old, very early refrigerators that were still working when I was a child, some of those about fifty or sixty years old. Also, many items were readily repaired by lay people, or at least repair people. The Ford Model T was expected to be maintained by home repair. Imagine that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing prior to 1900 as the first Zippo was produced in 1933, but what a find! Both historically and sentimentally!?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In this time of disposable everything, the idea that a useful object can last 70 years, especially something somewhat mechanical, is inspiring.
Indeed, I have a Nimrod lighter and a Bowers trench lighter, both from the '30s, and prior to my ownership had never been used.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Maybe contact Zippo with your information and the photos and see if they could be of some help.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Done!

But not '50 as I doubt he was gifted anything after being dead for four years! :)
If he passed away in 1946 and zippo started in ‘33 then you are narrowing the date down within 13 years! Another nice lighter.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.