Zippo or IMCO lighter? which one is better?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackymg

Lurker
Jan 27, 2010
Hi, I am a newcomer to this pipe community.
It took me many times to light up my corncob with matches and it gone out quite frequently. So, I am considering of getting a lighter.
I have read some article saying that the tradition Zippo lighter with pipe insert could be good option as it give soft and even flame, not as hot as butane ones and still works very well.
However, I heard of people saying that Zippo may ruin the taste of the tobacco due to it's fuel (fluid, not butane). On the other hand, I read some Zippo users saying that the fluid lighter will not affect their enjoyment with the pipe tobacco, if allowing the flame to burn for a second or two before lighting the pipe. Also, they claimed that the "new black can" fluid fuel is no difference with butane, in terms of tasting. Is that true? http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/general-pipe-forum/250308-zippo-pipe-insert.html#post2623928
Or I should go for a IMCO's G77.
To be honest, I prefer Zippo's excellent built and better looking casing. But when come to the tasting of pipe tobacco, I am not sure as I am still a newbie.
I wish opinions from you experts could help me with my choice.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Stick with matches;
in my opinion matches burn the tobacco better and faster.

You may be packing your bowl to tight and some tobacco burns better than others.

But I did start with a Lighter before I switched to matches. Once I mastered a Lighter I switched to matches but the DJEEP lighters I thought worked the best
DJEEP.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I buy the "Gems" lighters from Wallyworld. They are cheap, last at least a week.

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS: The flame is pre-adjusted for cigarettes. So, I do reset the flame to a little higher adjustment.

As for the Zippo taste. Once you have gone without it for a short time, try lighting again with a Zippo. You probably won't go back.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I say, buy whichever lighter that appeals to you. I will give a little of my opinion though.
Matches are great, but they leave a lot of burnt wooden pieces and litter and they are a real pain when trying to use outdoors.
If your pipe keeps going out, it is more than likely your packing method. Try packing the tobacco a little looser. Here are some links that will help you with your packing techniques:

Tobacco Pipe Packing Methods - Part 1

Tobacco Pipe Packing Methods - Part 2 (Videos)
I use a Zippo quite frequently and I have never tasted lighter fluid. When I light it, I let it burn for a moment before lighting my pipe. Letting it burn and holding the flame above the pipe and drawing the flame to the tobacco should eliminate any fluid taste.

jackymg

Lurker
Jan 27, 2010
Thanks for everyone's input.
If you guys do not find big advantage of getting a butane lighter, I robably go for Zippo as it reputation and feel more reliable with this great brand.
Also, I am now in the UK, does anyone know about any reviewing site that focus on tobacco that could be bought here? (coz i fine many of those one the tobaccoreviews.com are limited to the States)
Thanks
BTW, i have tried to follow the Frank method, but still need more than 4 times of relighting to finish a bowl (I was smoking Alsbo Black in the small bowl of the missouri washington corncob pipe.)

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
try a beeline dude,

they taste way better than a lighter.
www.beelinehawaii.com = email them and theyll send you a free sample.
ha ha, there i go again...

jackymg

Lurker
Jan 27, 2010
i doubt it if they'll send me sample as i am in the UK... lol
thanks for the recommendation anyway!

jackymg

Lurker
Jan 27, 2010
REALLY?!

THX!

I'm going to send them an email now! lol
do you need to say you want a sample or something like that?

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
i just emailed them and said something like.
hi im from nz, and i hear you might be able to send me a free sample!
they replied saying "you heard right!" and the rest is history.
granted you still use a lighter or matches to light the beeline, but imo, its about taste and, pardon the oxymoron, healthy smoking.
butane is very bad for you. as is any other type of chemical fuels.
using beelines i have really noticed a taste difference - both while smoking and in my pipes over time.
at the end of the day, its free to try, and it works well. let me know how you go with it! :)

jtpassmore

Lurker
Mar 31, 2010
Perth, Australia
I personally use a Zippo with the pipe insert, very reliable and with the black can fluid no funny taste i keep hearing people mention. the benefit of zippo as well is an excellent warranty and many case designs.
I have used matches as well i just find them to be impractical if i want to enjoy a pipe outside my own house.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
hey mrsmonkeyman, thanks for the heads up about the beeline, I just got an email back from them too, and they'll be shipping my sample shortly!

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
I can taste the Zippo fluid. I use a Bic butane. Nothin fancy and gets the job done.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I use the Gem disposable lighters made by Calico.

I buy them in packs of six at Walmart for about a buck 35.

Each will last about a week... (give or take) depending on usage of course.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I use a zippo but if you get one let it burn for about 3 to 5 seconds before you start lighting you pipe. I find it gets all the fumes of the lighter fluid out and thats what causes you to have a fluid taste.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Jtpassmore,
I'm with you on the Zippo. I'll even use Ronson fluid in the Zippo and it doesn't bother me any, though I do wait for it to burn for a little bit, like Surfmac suggests.
I've got an Imco lighter that I use sometimes, but with age, it doesn't perform as well as it used to since it takes multiple flicks and the flame adjustment doesn't hold. Since it only cost a few bucks and has lasted around four years, it's definitely been worth it.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I bought a cheap refilliable butane pipe lighter. It was like 12 bucks. It's pretty decent. It misses sometimes and the flame adjustment could be better,but it's a good lighter for the money.
It has taught me that a 45 degree flame does make a difference.
I wish Bic or someone would make a disposable with a angled flame. I've seen a few disposable pipe lighters but reviews say things like "about tears your thumb off" etc.
I'd be perfectly happy with a side flame bic and... might even live large and spend the extra 75 cents to get one with electronic ignition.

Status
Not open for further replies.