PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have decided to give my pipe zippo another try.
I always seem to have problems lighting the tobacco with it.
I see videos of people pulling the flame towards the bowl but whenever I try I really struggle to do so no matter how hard I suck at it.
I cant seem to get the top of the tobacco to char.I have no problem with my old boy lighter but would prefer to use the softer flam zippo
ideas please

Reactions: ofafeather

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a few Zippos with and without the pipe insert. They both work well... You have to draw the flame to the tobacco. Neither the lighter nor the flame should touch the top of the bowl.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have a few Zippos with and without the pipe insert. They both work well... You have to draw the flame to the tobacco. Neither the lighter nor the flame should touch the top of the bowl.
this is the problem,if I keep the lighter about 1/2 inch above the bowl I have trouble pulling the flame down and hence the tobacco doesnt want to light.
I smoke mainly flakes but cant see that should affect it.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Flakes shouldn’t matter. The flame is a lot hotter (2X) than needed to light tobacco. It’s the heat that ignites the tobacco. If you can’t easily pull the flame to the tobacco, then perhaps you have the tobacco packed too tightly... or it’s too wet... or maybe try adjusting the wick, but I doubt that’s the reason. I’m leaning towards the former...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah honestly it can be tricky. My new meer, if I pack the bowl all the way to the top, I can't suck the flame down enough to touch the tobacco. Like it's nothing but air. So I have to start with a bic or matches, and then use the zippo.

Reactions: ofafeather and STP

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Lower the Zippo. Closer to the tobacco. Just don't touch the Zippo to the rim or don't hold the Zippo close to the rim for long time. You want it close enough to pull the flame just above the tobacco, but not too close you'll damage the pipe.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I like the control of doing my initial lights with matches and avoid lighters for the charring lights even though I have used them on occasion. I have no problem using the zippo for relights.

That said, as others have suggested plus maybe shorter stronger puffs with well rubbed out bit at the top of the bowl.

Reactions: BROBS and STP

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Yeah honestly it can be tricky. My new meer, if I pack the bowl all the way to the top, I can't suck the flame down enough to touch the tobacco. Like it's nothing but air. So I have to start with a bic or matches, and then use the zippo.
exactly this,I tried the zippo tis afternoon with a bulldog pipe and all i got was air so changed to the old boy no problem.
i then tried it with a billiard with a 3/4 inch diameter chamber with better results.
I agree once the tobacco is up and running relights are not so much of a problem

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have to tilt the pipe so that the chamber is perpendicular to my body, however with the pipe insert I am able to light as I would with any other method.

Maybe the wick is not pulled out enough?

My main concern with using a zippo is the fuel smell. I don’t get any when using the pipe insert - not sure if this by design as the insert fits more snug than the standard, or if it is due to not needing to use the tip of the flame/tilting lighter towards me

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Tilt your pipe
This and also I find that if it's packed too tightly that can cause problems too (the pipe that is). The thing though is you don't really need to draw the flame into the tobacco just near it and for most pipes you get perfect coverage if you center the hole above the hole on the pipe holding it a few militmeters above and drawing into the pipe just enough to make the bottom of the flame kind of bulge out a bit takes a few seconds to get lit but the only better light I've experienced is with matches.