PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
For all you Zippo users out there, which insert do you prefer? Pipe, classic, butane soft-flame?

I have only used the pipe insert and I have no qualms with it. I was debating on just getting a regular insert though. Have any of you noticed a difference between these two?

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
The open hole in the pipe insert defeats the wind breaking that you get with the standard chimney.
Takes away almost 50 percent of wind blockage. Still better than say an old boy in the wind, but not as good as a regular chimney.
Sounds like the regular insert is superior. I guess I do have one qualm with the pipe insert. Whenever there is a decent amount of wind the flame will teeter from one side of the hole to the other. This sometimes causes the flame to shoot directly into the bowl.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like the regular insert is superior. I guess I do have one qualm with the pipe insert. Whenever there is a decent amount of wind the flame will teeter from one side of the hole to the other. This sometimes causes the flame to shoot directly into the bowl.
In some ways a Nimrod is superior as you can set the lighter on the pipe's rim.

Remini20220601024832272.jpg