PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I do like the Zippo pipe lighter, but I have to refill it every few days. I switched to butane because I was refilling the lighter about as often as I was smoking. I think of it as a better choice for the frequent smoker because it's durable, and inexpensive if it needs to be replaced.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Butane would be the way to go for the infrequent smoker. Once you start smoking everyday, then try the regular zippo again

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Zippo works just fine. I just refill as needed when I'm drying my tobacco, polishing silvers, or just updating mp3 player. Oh, I only smoke outside, so fire not blowing out is a big plus.

Reactions: Piping Abe

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My Zippos last more than a few days when filled, but I don't mind filling them. The Beattie as well. My Peterson butane lighter definitely lasts longer but is tricky outside at times.

I wouldn't say a Zippo is "better" for a frequent smoker - a frequent smoker is still going to use what suits him or her whether regular Zippor or butane or matches. The cheapest replacement is a butane Bic.

Reactions: warren

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm amazed that some people find it hard or inconvient or, even too expensive to fill on an as needed basis a Zippo. I have to fuel my car (more often than most I suspect), chainsaw, tractor, charge batteries for cameras and the like. It's just part and parcel of using a Zippo. If filling drives you to distraction ... use something else. I don't find I'm fueling my Zippo too often as I only do it when it needs fuel.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

That Guy

Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I've been using the "sandwich bag" trick with my zippos and get about 10 days before needing a refill. There are some videos on YouTube if you want to try it for yourself.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
I'm amazed that some people find it hard or inconvient or, even too expensive to fill on an as needed basis a Zippo.
I love my zippo, but I can see both sides of this, especially for the less frequent smoker. My zippo will evaporate all its fluid in about 4 days, and I'll frequently go longer than that between smokes. It does seem a bit of a waste to use one entire lighter fill of fluid for one smoke.

But nothing's better outside in the wind!

Michigan_Bill

Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
I use the rubber gasket for the bottom of the lighter unit (insert). It seems to help, because the Zippo only needs to be refilled once per week. Of course the majority of evaporation is through the wick, and a gasket won’t help with that. But refilling the zippo once a week works for me.