PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BR Pile

Lurker
Aug 31, 2022
My fairly new zippo was working flawlessly until recently. I have to flip the flint after only a few lights to keep it working.

I've tried replacing the flint, but soon after I was flipping it as well.

I also tried brushing the wheel with choir boy, but that didn't help either.

Anyone ever have this problem and figure out a solution?

Thanks.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Is the spring adjustment too tight or too loose?

I might throw away a flint and try a new one. Never heard of a dud but it’s a cheap enough experiment.

Reactions: Streeper541

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have flipped a flint in order to scrounge a few more lights when the flint is low. But never regularly. Answers are all in the above posts! Maybe try to post pictures so we can see what it looks like.

Reactions: jiminy

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I never had that issue with a Zippo, but I did have another old lighter that gave me problems. I think it was a weak spring/catching on something in the tube. I've also heard that some flints can get soft (age or being soaked in lighter fluid?), and then that can cause issues.

BR Pile

Lurker
Aug 31, 2022
I've tried all those suggestions already... multiple flints (properly screwed), riding wheel backwards, pulling up the wick (n snipping off the used portion)...and yes, matches; I even bought a Bic 🤫

Could the cotton need replacing? It's still the original filler. Is it supposed to be swapped out after 'x' amount of time?

That's the only thing left to do...atleast I can't think of anything else. I never took it out to check if the wick is pressed against the side, as it's still the factory setup.

Thanks.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've never replaced a wick, but sometimes they do take some fiddling with and or trimming. Make sure it's close to the end the flint is on, and that it isn't frayed or burned too badly. You could try trimming the very top part of the wick.