PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Charade? I'd rather think of it as the grown-up, big-boy-now, what the teachers taught me type of thing. Google has nothing to do with it, except that it is part of the problem.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There's no charade at all. It's simply what the site owner desires. Kevin's opinion is the only one which matters in this discussion. So, it's not so much a matter of style but, respect for the rules the owner has established for proper behavior in his "sandbox."
I hate the thought that "Google" is now the arbiter of style in all things grammatical.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
And Warren, THAT is the only real important part of this whole discussion. The guy who owns the playground has set the rules, and rightfully so. It is HIS. I have watched this kind of thing happen in lots of forums over the years, and it boils down to a decision by the guy who pays the bills and keeps this neat place open. HIS decision is really all that matters.
Think I will go mess with an old Pipe and see if I can Make It Run again. :D

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
There's no charade at all. It's simply what the site owner desires. Kevin's opinion is the only one which matters in this discussion. So, it's not so much a matter of style but, respect for the rules the owner has established for proper behavior in his "sandbox."
I hate the thought that "Google" is now the arbiter of style in all things grammatical.
Capitalization is the albatross swinging its way across this board. Three threads on the front page that Ive noticed (and I'm not looking), have been corrected. In at least one case , (i think the kirby thread) ,the op is fluent and generally careful with grammar. It's an easy thing to spot which is why it so heavily corrected. Grammar and spelling are not addressed beyond the users autocorrect because both require skill. So, a double standard is inherent.
Many posters use mobile devices with abysmal AI autocorrect. Add to that device lag, small screens, etc and you have a recipe for disaster. So the answer, obviously, is not to post from a mobile device. That is not always practical and certain less so relative to a mod just chilling out just a wee bit.
Site owners pay google for click throughs. Click throughs determine the value of a site to advertisers. Advertisers pay the bills which keep the servers running. Much of google is accessed by mobile devices. So cell phone posters do in fact own internet grammar, in a very real (bizarre) way.
?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
...and the good news is that I started the thread....and think it's probably a good time to close it. As always, we appreciate your thoughts, prayers, and random bundles of cash that keep showing up in my mailbox...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.