PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Tried Captain Black today. Not me at all!
What are your thoughts? Is the newest version better?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I rather enjoy the CB Royal, have a pouch of the Dark coming to try. I have to be in a mood to have it though, it's only a once in awhile smoke.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I use my Brigham pipes with the rock maple filter in and it helps I find, puff slow and I get the definite vanilla taste to it. The filter reduces the moisture so I think it helps find the flavour.

Jan 8, 2013
I like the CB Dark. I took advantage of that buy three get three deal at pipesandcigars.com and will definitely purchase more. I do kinda like the CB white, but I think the dark is a huge improvement.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Well. . .I have a 1.5oz for trade if anyone is interested. PM me!
:puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes I find captain black to have this wierd chemical kind of taste, I really don't like any OTC drugstore blends, about the only one I like is Amphora red but even then I find it much too strong for my liking.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Tastes like metal to me. But honestly something about a lot of aros taste like metal to me.
Got the new version sitting at home waiting for me to try.

Jul 12, 2011
It is my Uncle's go-to blend...not for me...but the great thing about pipe smoking is there are (so it seems) endless blends for us to explore :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Jah:
Tastes like metal to me. But honestly something about a lot of aros taste like metal to me.
+1
Aros, even many in high regard here, taste like chemicals to me. You may want to give Pipeworks and Wilke rumcake a try (or any of her aros). Real ingredients, superb aros that are as good as they get.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I haven't tried it yet. On an ounce-per-ounce basis it costs more than quality tinned tobacco at my local B&M. I might try a pouch of the Dark when I place my next TAD order if it remains on sale.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Eazye, I'm thinking that the Brigham filter helps with that chemical taste, I dry the baccy quite a bit then use the filter and it's not bad at all, I mean it's not nirvana or anything but it's enjoyable. Of course it could be that it's just not your thing.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Six, thanks for the tip. My wife picked me up a tin of W.O. Larson's Signature Mixture. (I swear she's got a secret plot to get me smoking something with a good room note.) I've had a few bowls. It definitely likes wider bowls (seemed to want to run hot in narrower bowls). It's got a really mild taste, bit of blueberry's maybe an apricot here and there. Definitely something interesting. I'd like to smoke more of it before I make up my mind about it.
I take back what I said about her secret plot. She's a redhead. Subtlety is not her forte.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Tried my first bowl of Capt. Black Dark earlier tonight. Definitely needs drying time. My first reaction is to agree that the taste is not pleasant - at best neutral.
To date, my favorites are:

Pipeworks & Wilke's Rumcake

Sutliff's Molto Dolce

Frog Morton Cellar
All three of those combine good taste and nice room note for me.
To be continued...

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Captain Black blends leave a weird film taste on the roof of my mouth. Like I just ate some Captain Crunch or something.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually my only experience with captain black was with a free pouch I'd gotten from a guy who brought it back from the states to roll cigarettes with, he saw me smoking a pipe at work and offered it to me so I obliged of course. I actually found by mixing in this tobacco from my local B&M I would describe as very close to amphora red, but not amphora red, it created a very nice pleasing smoke, that was kind of chocolate smelling and got really nice "wow, that smells great" compliments, plus it actually was enjoyable. But on it's own I didn't care for it. I don't even know what kind of Captain black it was, he just gave it to me in a container.

Status
Not open for further replies.