PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Hey guys I here a lot of negative and some positive thoughts about lighting our pipes with a Zippo. What are your thoughts about this matter.

newcastle

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
I tried lighting with a Zippo twice. My mouth must be sensitive to the Zippo fluid. I had nasty Zippo flavored tongue burn that lasted about 3 days.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I've got about 6 Zippos and love using them. My ony problem is getting the tobacco going on the intial light. For the charring light I prefer matches or a butane lighter. So yeah I carry 2 lighters.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I love my Zippo with the pipe insert. The regular not so much. I have tried it with both and I dont like the tilting you have to do with the standard one. If you but a standard you can have Zippo replace the insert to a pipe for the small fee of mailing it to them.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
If ya get some strips of balsa or cedar wood and use the lighter to light the wood then light the pipe. I find it difficult to light a pipe with a zippo its too unwieldy. I burned my finger.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
If ya get some strips of balsa or cedar wood and use the lighter to light the wood then light the pipe. I find it difficult to light a pipe with a zippo its too unwieldy. I burned my finger.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I too love the zippo. Remember guys there is no right are wrong answer here. This is just an opinion on what you think about using a zippo to light your pipes. If you like them as I do then great. If you hate them and think there stupid are they flavor your mouth are tobacco then that's fine. This is just a preference thing. Do you prefer it are do you not.

Thanks

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
When I first started I used bics so once I purchased a zippo I had trouble. Fluid evaporated quickly, couldn't get the bowl lit (charring or bottom of bowl) but I kept with it. You just need to learn how to use it just as you learned how to smoke your pipe. Learn that if you are tasting the zippo fluid to the point of tounge bite you may be overfilling, or to open the zippo, pause a second, light it, pause a second, then light your pipe.
I love my zippo, I am sad if I ever need to reach for a bic because I said to myself... I can get one more bowl out of it before I need to refill DOH!!! :rofl:

It's so easy to refill I dk why I just don't do it when the flame starts to diminish.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have a pipe lighter insert and I don't like it. I find it's troublesome getting flake and course cut latakia tobaccos lit with it. I stick to a bic.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Everyone swears by matches, but I love my zippos.

I have one with the pipe insert, and one that I took a dremel to and modified for pipes.
The flame on matches always seems to spread too wide for me. Maybe it's the type of matches I've tried.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
There's a technique to using a Zippos when lighting a pipe. Master that technique and you'll have to problems. There are also the advantages of the Zippo; it is cheaper to use, because you fill it with fluid, as with Bics you have to toss them away after a few days; they are windproof, and they are just cooler, the opening of the lighter, the snap of the wheel, the lighting, then the closing snap. They are part of the pipe ritual that I enjoy.

filman48

Lurker
Feb 19, 2013
I have tried the butane pipe lighters, matches and always come back to my Zippo with the pipe insert. For me it works the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.