PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have searched a few reviews, and even on here, but have not seen much in the way of a black walnut flavor.
I did see one post here that mentions Brown Twist Sliced having a deep black walnut flavor, however, I'm not much of a fan of Burley. There was a TobaccoReview for McClelland - Bayou Slice that mentions the Va/Per blend also having a taste of treacle and black walnut. And Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake looks also to have a Black Walnut note.
Have any of you fellow pipers come across any other tobaccos that have a characteristic note of black walnut? I am mainly looking for English/Balkan blends and Va/Pers. Not so much of a Black Walnut aromatic.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Hmmm. I recently posted about the ingredients of G&H Twists, and it seems that according to G&H, they do not contain Burley, but rather the African Virginia leaf. They do, however, have a very different taste from standard Virginia leaf--very strong, and almost cigar like. For the record, all the G&H Twists are the same--just different preparation.
That said, I'm not sure if I've ever encountered black walnut. Is it commonly used as a flavoring, or do you literally just like the taste of black walnuts? (I'm not much of a walnut guy.) Burley tobacco is always said to have a nutty taste to it, unlike the grassy/citrus/sweet/catsup Virginias. I will say that both 1792 Flake and the G&H brown twists have a deep, rich flavor.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
The first Peterson's blend I tried years ago was De Luxe Mixture. I didn't notice the addition of walnut in the description when I read it, but I noticed it when I smoked it. Certainly won't bowl you over, but it's there and I definitely noticed it. Not sure what the difference is between black walnut and english walnut, but it tastes like the walnuts that I have eaten. Alas, it is an aro, but not a bad one. Maybe you will find the flavor too mild, and there may be other blends that have it, but so far it's only one with walnut flavor I've heard of.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
In over fifty years of pipe smoking I have never seen a black walnut flavoured tobacco. Your best bet would be to get some black walnut extract, put in on a cotton ball and place in in a canning jar with a little neutral tobacco such as a mild Virginia and let it sit for a while and hope it absorbs the flavour.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
@beast - Yeah, I love black walnuts. Im not a huge fan of the english variety. I dont recall ever tasting the flavour in any tobacco, but I thought i would look it up.
@orley - there is a profound difference in the taste between black and english walnuts. I know many people dont like the black walnuts as they have a harsh taste. Buy a small bag in the Baking aisle of the markey. They are in the same areas of pecans, walnuts and chocolate chips.
@deathmetal - I've tried a few. I can tolerate a couple, but most of them I dont really care for. I will see about getting some BTS in my next SP order
@nachman - I have considered that. Unfortunately I dont have any plain virginia. I plan on stopping by my local shop today, though, so I will see about picking up an ounce.
Thank you all.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
In addition to the Peterson De Luxe Mixture mentioned above, McClelland Easy Street is an aromatic with a top note of English walnut.
That said, you've mentioned you aren't so much looking for an aromatic. You could get one of those aromatics and thrown some latakia or perique or whatever in there in order to round it out.
I think you've painted yourself into a bit of a corner, since nutty flavor comes from Burley or aromatic topping and those are two things you're not a fan of... you probably aren't going to find it occurring naturally in the tobacco world outside of that.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I was searching but this thread mentions the ones I found.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/walnut-tobacco
and mclelland Easy street has a specific top note of english walnut.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Yesterday afternoon, I purchased a larger tin of McClelland No. 27 Matured Virginia. I figure I will stop by a health store and get a small bottle of Black Walnut extract and try my hand at creating my own.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
That should be fun! I had pretty decent luck producing a rum / cinnamon blend myself. It originally was going to be merely cinnamon, but I needed to suspend the cinnamon extract in something, so I ended up choosing rum. I mixed McClelland 5100 and 5 Bro's, sprayed the liquid on it till soaked, and stoved it for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees until it dried, repeated again, and the last time out of the stove, I coated until it was a overly moisted and jarred it for a few months. After that, I opened it up and let it dry out to smoking moisture, and it produced a very nice tobacco--it's actually now a favorite with the guys at my informal pipe club. The stoving artificially aged the VA a bit, and really married the flavor to the leaves.
Black walnut's a whole different affair.

Now I'm curious as to what is so different about black walnut. I'll have to pick up some extract sometime and take a whiff. Something in the name makes me think I'd want to throw a hint of latakia in there as well...

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
#beastinview -- Now I'm curious as to what is so different about black walnut. I'll have to pick up some extract sometime and take a whiff. Something in the name makes me think I'd want to throw a hint of latakia in there as well...
Stop by the market and pick up a small bag of shelled black walnuts. You can normally get them in 1/4 or 1/3 cup amounts. It has a very hearty aroma, and yes, I do belive some lats might produce vaguely similar smells or tastes, but nowhere really close.

Status
Not open for further replies.