PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it is a dirty little secret that most pipe tobacco smells really good burning, aromatic and non-aromatic. Compared to the chemically concocted scents sold at department store perfume counters and the horrific smells passed off as room deodorizers, car deodorizers, kitty litter fresheners, etc., pipe smoke is a breath of mountain air. Some folks have asthma and sensitivities, and I would never discount someone else unable to breathe, but compared to the expressway and downwind of a hog farm ... let's be real ... most pipe smoke is honeysuckle in the spring.

Jan 27, 2020
I think it is a dirty little secret that most pipe tobacco smells really good burning, aromatic and non-aromatic. Compared to the chemically concocted scents sold at department store perfume counters and the horrific smells passed off as room deodorizers, car deodorizers, kitty litter fresheners, etc., pipe smoke is a breath of mountain air. Some folks have asthma and sensitivities, and I would never discount someone else unable to breathe, but compared to the expressway and downwind of a hog farm ... let's be real ... most pipe smoke is honeysuckle in the spring.

I’m going to print that out and stick it to the refrigerator door for my girlfriend to see every morning.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes I think you're onto something here. When I smoked cigs if it was a Nat Sherman people would tell me it smelled great while looking really confused.

Jan 27, 2020
Actually, yesterday I was outside of a post office puffing and this guy who looks like a union electrician gave me a look over and quickly circled back to ask me about my pipe, said he only knows guys his uncles age with them. He seemed generally interested in the pursuit.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Haha, I was at the pub last night with my pipe and a tin of Pirate Kake setting next to it. A pretty lady saddled up next to me and said "I love the smell of pipe Tobacco," grabbed the tin, and took a deep whiff. Her face went through at least a dozen different contortions before she sneezed, set the tin down, and walked away. Later, she passed me on her way out and simply said, "maybe not that one." Quite entertaining.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I am lucky that my wife digs the smell of a pipe. My great-grandfather was also a pipe smoker (Five Brothers or Black Cav -what a polar selection haha) so my grandmother loves it when I have the pipe with me...she will ask me to light it up and has even puffed it a couple times.

I have gotten almost all positive comments except for one bartender who told me that it smelled like I was smoking incense...it was PS Luxury Twist Flake, iirc, too so I don't know what the problem was...pretty sure he was smoking Marlboro Lights lol

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Haha, I was at the pub last night with my pipe and a tin of Pirate Kake setting next to it. A pretty lady saddled up next to me and said "I love the smell of pipe Tobacco," grabbed the tin, and took a deep whiff. Her face went through at least a dozen different contortions before she sneezed, set the tin down, and walked away. Later, she passed me on her way out and simply said, "maybe not that one." Quite entertaining.
I've lost all interest in Pirate Kake now.

Reactions: whsergent

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
I am lucky that my wife digs the smell of a pipe. My great-grandfather was also a pipe smoker (Five Brothers or Black Cav -what a polar selection haha) so my grandmother loves it when I have the pipe with me...she will ask me to light it up and has even puffed it a couple times.

I have gotten almost all positive comments except for one bartender who told me that it smelled like I was smoking incense...it was PS Luxury Twist Flake, iirc, too so I don't know what the problem was...pretty sure he was smoking Marlboro Lights lol

Pretty sure we could fill an entire thread with comments from smartass bartenders or waiters. I was smoking SG Navy Flake in this backwater town once and got shouted at "Can you stop smoking that horrendous vanilla tobacco?!" LOL, hol' up son

Jan 27, 2020

Did you have to dry out the tobacco after?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
On IPSD I was out in public and someone commented/observed that my pipe didn’t smell bad like cigarettes. I was smoking some McC 40th Anniversary at the time.

People think all tobacco smells like cigarettes, having little contact with anything else. Sad.

Reactions: Mr_Smokey
Status
Not open for further replies.