PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I wanted to extract some of Greg Pease's sage advice for inclusion in a discussion on dcicero's thread: Reasons For Cellaring. So, naturally, I went to GLP's BriarAndLeaf Chronicles, but Pease's website only responds with the message: Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL which is required for WordPress. Does anyone know what this means, and what the work-around is?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess these software outfits and app programers can't afford to hire people who both understand the computer science and can explain the fundamentals to others. A link to a well-written paragraph could explain much, but we'll never see it. This has been a problem in the industry since at least the early 1980's I can attest. Sadly, most pros in the field enjoy their esoteric knowledge far too much to explain it to anyone. Snarky but often true. Apparently lots of money is made not explaining it to consumers.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I guess these software outfits and app programers can't afford to hire people who both understand the computer science and can explain the fundamentals to others. A link to a well-written paragraph could explain much, but we'll never see it. This has been a problem in the industry since at least the early 1980's I can attest. Sadly, most pros in the field enjoy their esoteric knowledge far too much to explain it to anyone. Snarky but often true. Apparently lots of money is made not explaining it to consumers.

The good news is that all this "stuff" is open source and well documented so that attitude doesn't play as strongly as it used to.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN

As an old IT guy, my best guess is it’s a “Server-side” issue. The software is having a problem getting information it needs from a database in order to correctly construct the page to send to the Internet browsers.

This is my guess only. Truthfully, if a developer goes ‘deep’ into an explanation, most people tend to get that glass-reflection look in their eyes.

It’s organically esoteric, not really intentional. The error messages are almost always ‘weird’.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
As an old IT guy, my best guess is it’s a “Server-side” issue. The software is having a problem getting information it needs from a database in order to correctly construct the page to send to the Internet browsers.

This is my guess only. Truthfully, if a developer goes ‘deep’ into an explanation, most people tend to get that glass-reflection look in their eyes.

My reply was pretty generic. But yes you're correct. It's Wordpress not being able to access the database (content) that it needs - that could be due to the database being no-longer accessible (down for whatever reason or moved/renamed/replaced on the server) - or the message indicates that it could be a coding compatibility issue with the PHP calls being incompatible with the MySQL calls it is being fed.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
My reply was pretty generic. But yes you're correct. It's Wordpress not being able to access the database (content) that it needs - that could be due to the database being no-longer accessible (down for whatever reason or moved/renamed/replaced on the server) - or the message indicates that it could be a coding compatibility issue with the PHP calls being incompatible with the MySQL calls it is being fed.

I don’t miss those 2am calls when I’d have to log in find the problem and fix it. Wonder who the h**l updated X and why they did so, or worse “Oh $hit! That’s my bug!” :LOL:

Worse, back “in the day,” having to drive to the office!

Reactions: Mtlpiper

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
As an IT guy, it isn't so much about keeping the knowledge to ourselves but more that very few want a real explanation. Most of us get excited when someone shows an interest and wants to know more!

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I wanted to extract some of Greg Pease's sage advice for inclusion in a discussion on dcicero's thread: Reasons For Cellaring. So, naturally, I went to GLP's BriarAndLeaf Chronicles, but Pease's website only responds with the message: Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL which is required for WordPress. Does anyone know what this means, and what the work-around is?

What platform and browser are you using?
I just went there with my $89 kindle fire with no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.