PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have it from a trusted source that the Wessex Curly Block being offered is quite different than the old Peter Heinrich's version. This, to me, is devastating, as I only have about 200g socked away of the old stuff. Has anyone else here tried the Wessex version yet? If so, I'd love your thoughts.

Thanks!

Reactions: ofafeather

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You'd think there ought to be a law against buying blend and then not following the recipe. I understand there are agricultural differences in raising crops but for a new owner to change a blend because it's cheaper to use something else seems like the whole thing was just a cash grab.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Has someone who really is in the know confirmed the Wessex version is intended to replace the Heinrich version? Or, did Wessex just come out with their own Curly Block? It wouldn't be the first blend made by multiple manufacturers with the same name.
I was curious about the same as Jim's PH version review on TR states that STG "changed the formula" last october.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Has someone who really is in the know confirmed the Wessex version is intended to replace the Heinrich version? Or, did Wessex just come out with their own Curly Block? It wouldn't be the first blend made by multiple manufacturers with the same name.
As @alaskanpiper noted, it change happened last summer. I've got a sample of the Wessex on the way, and though I expect it to be the new version, I'll know for certain in a few days.

Here's my review of both versions:

The Virginias are very earthy, bready and woody with a fair amount and variety of sweet fermented flavors: brown sugar, tangy dried and ripe dark fruits, light tart and tangy citrus, some floralness and stewed dark fruit as well as a little grass.They are the lead components. The perique is spicy, raisiny, figgy, and plumy with date overtones as a secondary player. The fermentation process enhances the inherent properties of the tobaccos and creates a harmonious mostly smooth, well balanced, deeply rich sweet, floral, spicy flavor from the first puff to the last. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste level is a step past the medium mark. No chance of bite or harshness, though it does have a few light rough edges. No dull or weak spots. Curly Block reminds me very much of the Murray’s version of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, except that this is sweeter and just a little smoother, with a shade less perique, and slightly higher floral note. Both have a touch of licorice, prune and plum toppings, too. The block (not plug) of tobacco will take some time to slice and prepare to your personal specifications. It’s moist and some may want to dry it first, though I find it works fine as it is, providing it’s packed a little loosely in the bowl. Burns cool, clean and very slow, requires some relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl if packed with care, so I suggest a little patience for the full experience of what it has to offer. Though you may have to stir the bottom ten percent just a little if you don’t use a wide bowl, you can smoke it all up. The after taste will pleasantly linger as will the lightly stronger room note. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable.

Update 10-5-2020: As STG has changed the formula, I am posting a review of this version. The fermented Virginias provide a fair amount of tangy ripe dark fruit, a lot of earth, bread, and wood, mild sugar, some stewed dark fruit, mild tart and tangy citrus with some grass, a little floralness, spice, and very light acidity. They are the lead components. The very nutty, earthy, woody, lightly spicy and floral, moderately rugged, bold burley plays a strong support role, though its effect varies at times and virtually equals the Virginias at its peak. The perique is spicy, raisiny, figgy, and plumy with date overtones is a secondary player with a lesser effect than it had in the original production. Has a touch of licorice, prune and plum toppings, though they don’t sublimate the tobaccos. The strength and nic-hit are medium. The taste level is a step stronger. No chance of bite or harshness, and has few rough edges. The block will take some time to slice and prepare to your personal specifications. It’s moist and needs some dry time. Well balanced, it burns cool, clean and slow with a fairly consistent, deeply rich sweet, nutty, floral, spicy flavor that extends to the long lingering, pleasant after taste. The room note is a notch stronger. Requires some relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl if packed with care, and dried a mite. Unlike the previous manufacture, this can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.