PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Title edited: Capitalize important words. Rule 9. Also if you need to emphasize words, use bold or underline; not all caps.

And it's Quiet Nights!

Want to TOBACCO REVIEWS & checked on MALTESE FALCON, and most gave it a full strength over QUITE Nights, Is it? What is a FULL everyday smoke? for now. Westminster for me. I just ordered Latakia blending bulk. Hope this brings it up in strength... Thanks, LeRoy

Last edited by a moderator:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Don’t know about all that but it’s a unique English blend for sure. I really like it. I’m not a fan of QN, I’ve tried it several times and it just never did much for me for whatever reason. MF is probably my favorite Lat blend from GL Pease.

Reactions: UncleRasta
What are tobacco stems generally used for/to make?
Stems is kind of a misnomer. The stems on a mature tobacco leaf are really large, like a finger in thickness. What most call stems is really just a rib of the rib of the leaf. The main rib is torn out, but there are these large secondary tributary ribs that are substantial also, especially in some varieties.
These provide nicotine, way more than just the fleshy part of the leaf. Blends like Birdseye will just shred these into these little birdseye looking bumps in the blend, but when shredded with the grain of the leaf, these same ribs will just be long hard things in the blend. They provide a flavor and a small does of the nicotine.
Now, the actual main rib and the real stems are what is ground down to make snuff in some places. It can also be ground and made into a pesticide dust.

I just keep them in the bowl and smoke them. I'm not into pipesmoking for looks and fashion, I want the affects of tobacco. Some seem to think that they aren't into nicotine at all, which is an odd way (to me) at looking at smoking tobacco, but... the notion prevails. Not my place to judge.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My impression when someone refers to an “everyday smoke” most of the time they mean a blend that is readily available, relatively inexpensive, has good burning characteristics, and of course tastes good. For an inexpensive blend similar to Westminster that meets the above criteria, you might try Balkan Supreme. Anyone who likes Latakia should give Balkan Supreme a try.

I just ordered Latakia blending bulk. Hope this brings it up in strength...
Tobaccoreviews.com has two different types of strength in it's descriptors. So does smokingpipes on their website. One is the strength of flavor, and one is the strength of nicotine. Quiet Nights to me is about a moderate strength as far as nicotine goes, but much more strong in flavor. Adding latakia will provide more latakia flavor, but not nicotine.
I write this not to just assume you are wrong, but to provide further clarification. I hope that helps add some distinction between the two as we discuss terms.

Honestly, in my experience, just adding more latakia to a blend tends to really mess with the flavors. Maybe try mixing it in and letting it marry into the whole flavor profile for a few months before trying it.

Reactions: virginialover

Boognish

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Maine
Stems is kind of a misnomer. The stems on a mature tobacco leaf are really large, like a finger in thickness.
That makes sense I'm guessing the true stem what connects the main rib to the stalk? Does the stalk of the whole plant get processed into things like snuff too?
I just keep them in the bowl and smoke them. I'm not into pipesmoking for looks and fashion, I want the affects of tobacco. Some seem to think that they aren't into nicotine at all, which is an odd way (to me) at looking at smoking tobacco, but... the notion prevails. Not my place to judge.
I've been picking out the little (ribs?) Only because they can be stiff and long which seem to hinder a consistent bowl pack like causing gaps and such. Plus I feel it's those ribs that like to magically grow when heat is applied.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Does the stalk of the whole plant get processed into things like snuff too?
I am definitely not a snuff expert. Someone had posted a GH&co video of them grinding stalks and stems into snuff once. That is the extent of my knowledge. I have no idea whether the fleshy parts were ground separately or not.
I just took the idea and processed the stalks from my own grown tobacco to make an insecticidal dust for my goats back a few years ago. Next thing you know my billy was wearing a monocle and tophat, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: Boognish

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just to add to what cosmic said about main ribs/stems. Oriental leaves are so small that you don’t need to remove anything. So when you purchase a pound of oriental whole leaf you get the total weight for blending, as opposed to only 12oz or so if you removed the stems like some people do with other varieties.

The same can also apply for whole leaf perique btw, if you are happy slicing the giant turd like brick. That’s what is called granulated perique.