PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Opening a tin of Presbyterian, thinking this smells like horseshit burned in a campfire and then having the balls to smoke it...Been an English/Latakia lover ever since...
My first English was a generous sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard from 4nogs.
I described the bag note as "Asphalt, burnt rubber and butt" :eek:
Thinking "do people actually smoke this crap?" Of course I had to try it. :LOL:

Mixing the BoLB 50/50 with Windsail Virginia, one small bowl at night was rather good. Two bowls was one bowl too many.

Today I still don't like Latakia forward blends but really enjoy ones where the Latakia doesn't dominate.

I'm not denying anything you say @cosmicfolklore and ppl are free to ask questions (or not), but I don't think that I have to remind you there is more to cigars than just clipping, lighting and puffing. At least to me is.

In this day and age (I sound old, my soul maybe is, my body hasn't past 40 yet) in fast information people forget to search first before asking. Again, ppl can ask all they want and I think most here are very patient with answering questions instead of shouting "Google", "RTFM" or any other snarky comments for which I tip my hat.

I think it's more a matter of not wanting to dive in but first slowly put your toe in the water to check the temperature. Read a little more before asking, I have red a awefull lot before even buying a pipe and tobacco.
Any Google search will bring you back to this forum. We SHOULD NOT tell people to go use google, because sometimes a problem requires a more personalized response. Sometimes not, but by encouraging people to ask these first questions, it builds camaraderie and a sense of community.

Take tongue bite... it could be an acid burn, could be heat, could be steam, and the best answer requires further questions. Sometimes packing is the solution, sometimes slowing down, sometimes we find out that they are using a freakin' torch to light their pipe, sometimes it is the tobacco acidity or moisture level. It's not as simple as it seems.

Just a Google search for burnt tongue isn't going to self-help as well as asking these patient seasoned pipe smokers here. Some are practically saints, ha ha, and some are devils, but we all work together to get to the solution, sometimes in a very entertaining way.

Good to meet you DanWil84. Glad to have you aboard.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm not denying anything you say @cosmicfolklore and ppl are free to ask questions (or not), but I don't think that I have to remind you there is more to cigars than just clipping, lighting and puffing. At least to me is.
There's more to smoking a cigar than . . . than smoking a cigar? Huh.
Must have been doing it wrong the whole time. :LOL:
Just kidding but really, smoking a cigar just came naturally to me I guess.

Before I found pipe forums I got by smoking my pipe but I had a lot to learn.
Learning from forum members really improved my smoking experience.

Mar 29, 2016
The difference between those of us who are fast puffers and those who "can smoke a bowl for hours", is that the latter tend to be those who smoke one bowl a day while fast puffers smoke several, generally speaking of course. [And I suspect that most 'fast puffers' also inhale]

Speaking for myself, I've treated stress and depression with cigarettes from a very young age [before I switched to a pipe over 11 years ago]
It's an ingrained habit. The ritual of smoking calms me so a pipe is very much like an adult pacifier.
An unlit pipe gives me something to do with my hands.

I've not got the temperament to sit quietly sipping on a pipe for hours. [Which I'm sure is quite meditative and relaxing] Maybe when I'm really old and highly medicated but until then, I'll enjoy doing it my way.

As long as one gains positive benefit from and enjoys the experience, there's no such thing as right or wrong. puffy
The thing is I barely smoke a bowl a day and fast puffing happens with Virginia only, I must be looking for more flavor but the funny thing is that with Virginia sipping goes a long way. And I agree there's no right or wrong in how one should enjoy pipe smoking.

Reactions: JOHN72 and chopper

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
When I first started smoking, the aroma of my pipe was very important to me, I was smoking socially in those days I really wanted other people to love the smell of my smoke and I wanted my wife to beg me to smoke it in the house… that never worked out how I wanted but I spent a long time looking for a strong tobacco that also had a great aroma. As time went by I stopped caring about this because non smokers can be lil bitches no matter how good it smells.

Drying out the tobacco was a great tip. I always assumed the blenders knew what they’re doing so if they packed the tobacco moist then pipe tobacco must be meant to be smoked moist. Nope.

Packing, cadence and all that jazz, that’s just something you learn what works best for you as you go.

I’ve learned of a lot of blends that I would have never discovered if it weren’t for this forum, I'm truly thankful for that.

Mar 1, 2014
There is more consumption of antidepressants, Than smokers, drinkers, disgusting pack of cigarettes, vapers together all over the planet. And as always good tobacco is demonized. Stress kills more than any bug, virus, bacteria that lives on this planet......................
This is such a good point.
Anti-Tobacco lobbyists are probably the same people selling something worse.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
What are your big discoveries?

My biggest discovery was the realization that I could justify my TAD expenditures with my wife by telling her we were diversifying our investment portfolio and not to worry about the hundreds I spend a month, as it is no different than pumping money into our 401k.

Prior to that day my wife would scowl at every box of baccy that arrived. Since then she skips to the door singing zippedy doo dah and joyfully organizes my cellar for me.

Since my big discovery my marriage is happier and I smoke my pipes in peace.

• Love
Reactions: Duck and JOHN72

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Not every bowl will be ecstacy.

I smoke one large bowl of Va or Vaper each evening after dinner. Sometimes I hit the zone. Usually it is just a simple pleasure. Sometimes, meh, it is not working this evening. C'est la vie.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My pipe smoking greatly improved once I conceded that it's not necessary to smoke that last 10% if it's not cooperating.

If it burns down freely, go with it. If not, due to accumulated moisture or any of a half dozen other reasons, LET IT GO!

Save your tongue, save your pipe, save your flints!

1633748601454.jpeg

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
That aromatics pretty much suck, in general. The quest for the ultimate all day smoke leads to smoking more variety based on mood, time of day and an abundance of other factors you won’t think about till it happens. And that there is no correct way for any of it, no unanimously best tobacco(s)/blend(s) - however Va/Pers might be close - it’s a personal endeavor so do it how it works for you, smoke what you want and enjoy the experience. It’s yours to own. Oh - and you will enjoy your best bowl ever more than once.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I learned I cannot smoke red Virginia tobacco. It was a total ah ha moment.
Have you tried aged red Virginia?

My first red Va blend was Aj's VaPer. Did not like it fresh. Way too 'tangy'.
Intending to use it as a mixer, I jarred the pound and shoved it to the back of my cupboard.

3-4 years later I tried a bowl and the difference is amazing.
Aj's is now one of my favourite non-aromatics.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
All tobacco goes on sale. Just wait for the sale. Good grief. I just bought o cans of tobacco, different manufacturers, they’re all on sale now.