PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you have a pipe you really like except that it's very prone to gurgling, I have a theory that might help you. It's based on the concept that for whatever reason, the briar, especially towards the heel, is damp. Whether through poor curing, or exceptionally dense briar, or an inability to smoke to the end, here's the proposal:

Smoke half or one-third bowls of dry tobacco to the end, 10-30 times over the course of a month or less. If it becomes unpleasant, gently blow through the stem to keep the ember going to the bottom. It's the heat of the ember that willstart to drive moisture out, but it will take time.

If you'd like to try this, please post back, and if there are enough participants, we may have a winner, depending on the actual results.

Any suggestions or questions also appreciated.

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
Good idea! I do notice most new smokers have trouble with gurgle... Their Tabacco is either too moist or they are puffing too hard, depends on the blend. Your method of blowing back to get rid of the built-up moisture is a good suggestion. I hate to be that guy, but we can't always blame the pipe. Tabacco preparation and technique should be addressed before the pipe is blamed. Once I learned to prepare the Tabacco and smoke it correctly, I rarely have a problem. Sometimes, if I am really enjoying a blend and start puffing like a freight train, I get the gurgle, but that's on me. I understand it to be more of a problem with curved pipes, moisture builds up. I don't own any. I own nothing but straight pipes.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Straight pipes are less prone. I also prefer filterless Pipes. These allow me to insert a pipe cleaner into the bowl and actually “remove” the condensation, as opposed to filters which “trap” moisture.

This and to a lesser extent, drying out your tobacco as suggested by a majority. I’m in the minority here as well. I enjoy most blends moisture level “fresh” as I find it tastes richer. I have dried out to varying levels and always I prefer it fresh.

Which segways to my last point. Don’t create copious amounts of smoke. You’re tasting tobacco and it doesn’t require a visible cloud of smoke to taste it. People nearby would hardly see that my pipe is burning until I retro and even then, it’s a small amount of smoke.

This results in a dry, cool and flavorful pipe. Enjoy!

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Good suggestions !

I smoke nothing but bent pipes and don't always dry my tobacco (mostly SG, GH, GLP). But I never smoke the super sloppy wet stuff which are mostly aros anyway (PG laced). I guess I've been lucky as I never had a gurgler. I do smoke super slow and I'm a sipper on my puff cadence.

I had a couple whistlers and boy that was annoying. They both went in the woodstove (and yeah they were both Petersons).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have one... I try to ignore it. I still smoke the pipe. I can say that in some cases it's not drying your tobacco, it's just the pipe.
That's exactly the type of pipe I am talking about. I.e., I am not addressing failure to get moisture right in a given load. But not getting moisture right over time and not finishing the bowl is one reason a pipe will tend to gurgle.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
The gurglers I have tend to be bent shapes, and most of the gurgling that happens does so when I inadvertently slobber into the stem. I've had to practice keeping my tongue from touching the stem with those--when I don't allow my tongue to directly contact the stem, they don't gurgle.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I won't own a pipe that gurgles as it is my biggest pet peeve. The biggest reason a pipe gurgles is improper drilling and a shank dimension that is too tight. Any shank dimension that is 3.0-3.5 is a pipe that will usually gurgle because of the dimension being being too small. ALso inside the stems if they are rough and not smooth will create turpulence which will create turbulence which will create a pipe that gurgles. There is nothing worse than a gurgling pipe in my opinion. Some pipes that gurgle may smoke ok, but hearing a pipe gurgle makes me want to just throw the pipe in the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.